Is my deck frame properly built?

Old 10-26-19, 10:00 PM
N
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is my deck frame properly built?

I hired someone to build my framing for my deck. Normally I would do it myself but, my work cause time restraints. When I came home I was not happy with how it looks. But, mostly Iím unsure if it is secure. They used deck blocks placed on the ground with 4x4 posts. The rim joints is toe nailed into the top of the post. Also, the stringers are placed with the top step flush with the deck. The deck is 16í across attached to the house and 8í out. Opinions needed!

Old 10-26-19, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Picture say far more than words.....but no, it doesn't sound like the best practices were used. At least not in the rim joist attachment.

Old 10-27-19, 03:14 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 698 Likes on 616 Posts
Welcome to the forums Nicki!

additionally, what region/climate are you in? As Vic, said pics would be helpful - here are instructions for posting pics How to insert pictures.

Old 10-27-19, 07:04 AM
N
Trying to attach pictures

I canít figure out how to attach a photo. However, I also noticed the outside joists are attached by toe nailing to the ledger. And thereís no flashing between the ledger and the brick siding.

Old 10-27-19, 07:32 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,573 Likes on 1,411 Posts
What is your location? Was a permit obtained? Because inspections and building codes usually prevent this sort of thing. It sounds completely substandard, so you need to deal with your carpenters directly. Not much we can say or do at this point.

This is the kind of work anyone can expect when they hire someone only on the basis of being the least expensive bid. Also why you get references and look at previous work they may have done. Recommendations from friends are usually spot on. (Unless they don't know any better! )

Old 10-27-19, 08:12 AM
N
Iím in upstate South Carolina. He did come recommend by a friend but he did mostly plumbing work for him. He was not the cheapest or the most expensive. Looks like Iím going to have to take this deck apart and do it myself the correct way. He has not yet been paid for this work. Iím a very non confrontational person, so Iím not looking forward to this conversation! But, I shouldnít pay for work I have to go behind and redo. Do you agree?

Old 10-27-19, 08:20 AM
Group Moderator
Google DCA6 Deck guide. Print it out and give it to him and see what he says. That's how your deck should have been built. At least it will make you feel more confident in what you say. And he won't be able to b.s. his way out of it.

If you look over it yourself you will probably find that every single thing he did is wrong, according to current building codes. But that is MOST places. Unless you talk to your local building dept, you don't know if they even have any standards. There are still places that exist like that.

Old 10-27-19, 09:26 AM
N
Thank you for all the help and info. Iím so glad I found this forum! I did look over the DCA6 guide and there are so many things wrong itís painful! So much money wasted on lumber I will need to replace to start again. Thank you again for the help. Live and learn. This is why I like to do it myself!

Old 10-27-19, 12:18 PM
Group Moderator
Yep. We don't want this to turn into a "come here to complain about your contractor type of forum" but there is obviously going to be some of that. Doing it yourself is often best but not everyone has the time or ability. But if you do we are glad to help.

There's a reason they coined the phrase... If you want it done right, you have to do it yourself.

Old 10-27-19, 12:59 PM
Received 996 Likes on 905 Posts
So much money wasted on lumber I will need to replace to start again.
Shouldn't be a total loss, just take apart carefully, even downsizing by a few inches should allow most to be reused!

Old 10-27-19, 01:16 PM
N
Thanks again. I donít like to post to down anyone. I was really making sure I wasnít being too picky. I appreciate the comments and help. I will be fixing this myself so, you may expect questions from me regarding that process! 😁

Old 10-30-19, 12:31 PM
O
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Are you absolutely sure you need to take it apart.

I just built a stair landing, bonded to my cottage's rim joists. I did a lot of toe nailing with screws to quickly get the wood bonded in the position I wanted and then pre-drilled holes for 1/2" carriage bolts or lag bolts to keep it solidly together.

Now where I am, in Canada, bolting a deck to a building on one side and using deck blocks on the other would not last long, as the freezing and thawing of the land starts heaving those deck blocks around. Where I am you either use all deck blocks or bond it to the building and pour cement in sono tubes below the frost line, for the posts away from the building.

I can't say how cold it would be in South Carolina. Sounds warm to me, but I would probably say the same thing about South Dakota and I imagine I might be wrong about that place, at least in January anyway.

Can you not just bolt it on where it is?

Old 10-30-19, 03:05 PM
B
Received 206 Likes on 182 Posts
Some who claim to be carpenters are framing carpenters, some finishing carpenters, some both and some neither. Buyer beware. Unless you have a contract stating the quality of work to be performed in enough detail to prove it was not, there isn't much of a leg to stand on in my opinion. Try to work something out with him regarding compensation since a friend is involved. Calling this so called carpenter back will not change anything because skill does not change overnight.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: