How to repair wooden center stair riser

Old 10-31-19, 03:42 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to repair wooden center stair riser

While painting my outside deck last week, I noticed the 2"x12" wooden center stair riser had developed some rot on the facing edge of the first step, which is in contact with the small concrete pad. Actually, it has a good 3"h x 2"w x 4"d hole.

Was wondering what methods the folks here would recommend for repairing? I've seen some epoxy-based wood rot repair products on This Old House that look like they might fit the bill. And then I was thinking of maybe bolting two metal plates on each side of the riser there to add additional strength & support to the rise there - the only problem being the very limited space for drilling through the wood; about 6" or 7".

Thanks for your consideration,
greynold99

Old 10-31-19, 03:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
Are you referring to the riser or the jack? They are 2 different things. A riser would not be 2x12 as it would mean each step is 12" high. I assume you mean the bottom end of the stair jack is rotting.

Hard to say without seeing it. Sistering good treated wood along either side is probably your best option.

Old 08-04-20, 06:03 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks XSleeper,

I know you guys spend a lot of time responding to these posts with helpful info and sorry I didn't reply sooner.
I got some type of epoxy-putty filler to fill the void and will use your suggestion to fix the problem.

greynold99

Old 08-04-20, 06:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
Ok, hope it works for you. Minwax also makes a liquid wood hardener... it's supposed to kind of help epoxies bond better to rotten wood. So you could look into that too if you wanted.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: