Concrete repair on floating dock

Old 12-19-19, 10:15 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 5 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Concrete repair on floating dock

The original rebar has rusted on the outer edges of the concrete pads, causing the concrete to the crack and pop up. I usually cut the rusted rebar out and patch in material but considering now either epoxying-in new rebar or rebar mesh. Which would be a better option?

Typically the repairs are at most 4'' deep. I'm using SikaTop 123 plus to make the repairs.

Old 12-19-19, 10:54 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
For patch work I'm not sure adding rebar or mesh would help unless you can weld to the old rebar or somehow drill into the old concrete and epoxy it in place (if that's what you meant). Possibly a core part of the problem is how deeply the rebar is buried. If there isn't enough concrete around to protect it from the elements it will just rust and swell and blow the patch out. If you just want to do pins to help key your patch in place you can bore holes and epoxy in stainless steel bolts.

maxwellerich9 voted this post useful.
Old 12-19-19, 11:05 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 5 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Thanks, Dane.

The docks have a manufactures life span of 45 years or so - less in more exposed areas - so we are near that time frame.

The patching I've done with the current method and material does develop small hairline cracks here and that. The docks move considerably with wakes so I know I can't completely mitigate cracking but previous contractors did patching and I don't believe the removed the rusted rebar when they patched so we are having to address those patches in addition to new cracks/breaks in the concrete.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: