Shade sail carport footing for poles on concrete?

Old 01-04-20, 06:03 PM
_
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shade sail carport footing for poles on concrete?

Hello all. I live in Florida and have an uncovered driveway with no garage. I am looking to add a double carport using a shade sail. Most tutorials show putting the poles into the ground at a 5 degree angle set in with concrete. How important is this?

I would be using 4 bolt footings anchored into my concrete driveway at 4 points with a rectangular shade. How doable is this? If doable, given the dimensions, I imagine I should use the hypar design to prevent water retention on the shade?

Any other thoughts or ideas you might have are appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 01-05-20, 06:00 AM
Received 462 Votes on 430 Posts
I looked into this to add a big sail in front of my garage but due to the span of 35' it got me up into the commercial sails and cost really went up plus the need to take down in the winter due to snow!

Yes, you need to follow directions from the manufacture, nobody here is going to override their recommendations, and if they do you should ignore.

The rain is not a problem the sails are not solid so water passes right through, they are for shade !

_zo0m voted this post useful.
Old 01-05-20, 03:26 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 791 Votes on 728 Posts
I don't think your plan will hold up very well, especially in Florida. First, I would check your local building codes. Florida has some pretty strict requirements to help prevent wind born debris during hurricanes.

_zo0m voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: