Paver "Stepping Stones" for patio

Old 07-14-23, 08:36 PM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Paver "Stepping Stones" for patio

For the paver patio I'm building in the backyard, I'm considering using larger (16" x 16") "stepping stones" as the pavers and laying them like smaller pavers (e.g., the 4"x8" brick sizes). My plan would be to leave 1/8" gaps and put them in just as I would do the smaller pavers.

None of the "how to" stuff I've found shows anyone using these larger stepping stones for their patios.

I'm curious what the pros and cons of the larger stones would be. This is likely the one I'd choose if I go this route.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Four-cobble...5-7-in/4686349

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Old 07-14-23, 11:33 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Those are patio pavers!

Old 07-15-23, 06:18 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,229 Upvotes on 1,988 Posts
I would expect to break some during installation if using a compactor to set them or the sand joints. The cobble pattern creates further weaknesses so I'd be extra gentle with them.

Old 07-15-23, 07:45 AM
T
Thanks Pilot Dane.

My plan is to use sheets of plywood on top of the pavers when I go over them with the plate compactor. (Originally that was because I didn't want to spend the money on a compactor pad and there wasn't one that would fit the compactor I bought.) Do you think that will help spread out the compacting load? Or do I just need to be prepared to go through and replace the ones that crack?

Old 07-15-23, 07:47 AM
T
And follow on -- will it be any harder to keep the gaps consistent and seams straighter with larger pieces?

Thanks again.

Old 07-15-23, 08:09 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Do you think that will help spread out the compacting load?
I'b bet you will break a lot of them, I cracked several 12"x18" pavers in my patio and they were solid pieces. Id bet if you look into the manufactures information they probably dont recommend compacting for these!

tollhaus voted this post useful.
Old 07-15-23, 09:24 AM
C
Received 351 Upvotes on 294 Posts
I used these pavers (from HD) for two small areas. They are 8'X32" one is to support my wife's potting bench and the other is for my trash cans. They are on a paver sand base. I compacted the soil and then screeded and compacted the paver sand. I did not compact the pavers themselves. I used poly sand between pavers.After 3 years there are no cracks and they have not moved.

I think that if you get the base solid there should be no need to compact the pavers. Like others have said, if you do compact them you will probably crack some.

tollhaus voted this post useful.
Old 07-16-23, 06:54 PM
T
Thanks, all. I'm going with the 4" x 8" pavers. This is my first time doing it and I want to keep it as simple as possible.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: