Is It OK To Mix TREX Sleeve Posts With Vinyl Fencing?

Old 09-10-23, 03:12 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Is It OK To Mix TREX Sleeve Posts With Vinyl Fencing?

Hi Everyone,

I am rebuilding a portion of my deck. I have already installed the 4" X 4" posts and I want to match the sleeves that were installed in a different section of the deck 12 years ago, before I owned the house. Because we have a pool, we would like to basically have fencing material between the posts rather than rails with pickets/balusters.

For cost purposes, I was originally planning to use vinyl sleeves and fencing, but I would have to use either 4" X 4" or 5" X 5" sleeves over the 4" posts. The older TREX post sleeves are 4-1/2" X 4-1/2" and I would like the new posts to match them. I also plan to run 12V lighting wire throughout, so the slightly larger TREX posts would help with that as well (if I don't use the larger TREX sleeves, I would have to rout out a channel in each of the new posts and that's just too much work). Most of the deck will receive a large amount of direct sun but not all, so I still want to use the 12V lighting instead of solar.

The fencing and posts will be white.

My question is: Can I still use vinyl fencing material even though the sleeves are TREX composite material? Will there be any issues with vinyl touching the TREX material for a long time? Discoloration? Chemical reaction?

Thanks in advance for the help!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: