Big crack in my balcony’s outer plank

Old 10-13-23, 12:04 AM
F
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Big crack in my balcony’s outer plank

Hi,

In the outer wooden planks of my balcony, one side has cracked. How should I repair it? Do I need to replace the entire plank, or can I use nails to secure the cracked gap? Alternatively, should I add an additional piece of wood to cover the crack?

Top Answer

10-13-23, 05:54 AM
Pilot Dane
Group Moderator
Received 2,183 Upvotes on 1,953 Posts
It looks like the board has warped. I'd use a long (6") structural screw that has a flat washer head to pull the bottom part of the board back into alignment. Sometimes I'll even use a large flat washer (fender washer) to further help prevent the board from splitting and the screw pulling through.

Old 10-13-23, 02:35 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 840 Upvotes on 737 Posts
A little hard for me to tell from the pic but it looks more like 2 pieces coming apart rather than 1 piece cracking. A couple of screws should prevent it from separating further and might draw it back together.

Old 10-13-23, 03:58 AM
B
Received 303 Upvotes on 268 Posts
Is there something tall above attached to this beam where forces due to wind or a person resting on it causing the beam to pivot causing the crack?

Old 10-13-23, 05:54 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,183 Upvotes on 1,953 Posts
It looks like the board has warped. I'd use a long (6") structural screw that has a flat washer head to pull the bottom part of the board back into alignment. Sometimes I'll even use a large flat washer (fender washer) to further help prevent the board from splitting and the screw pulling through.

Fisher57, marksr voted this post useful.
Old 10-15-23, 04:34 PM
F
It doesn’t work

Thanks for the ideas. However, the warped wood is very hard and cannot be flat with a screw. What should I do?

Old 10-15-23, 05:23 PM
F
Fix Warped board for the balcony

Hi,
This is my second post for this issue because I have new findings for this issue. The the outer wooden planks of my balcony, one side has warped. I tried drilling in a screw but the screw cannot put it back . The warped board is hard to bend back. Does anybody know what should I do? I can ask a handy man to come but no idea how to fix this. Replace the whole board?

Old 10-15-23, 05:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,922 Upvotes on 1,726 Posts
Do what Pilot Dane said. Use this type of screw: https://www.homedepot.com/p/SPAX-1-4...1527/202041029

First drill a 1/4" hole, 1 1/2" deep through just the rim joist. That will allow the head of the screw to pull the rim tighter as you drive it in.

If it doesn't work, just leave it as is... it's only a cosmetic issue. Put black caulk on it if you don't like the way it looks. It looks like it was already caulked once before, so this is not a new problem. Wood warps... it doesn't mean it is a serious structural issue.

Old 10-15-23, 07:57 PM
F
The gap is big

Thanks for the advice. But the gap is big. About 2cm. I believe it is caused by the rain because the cover of my balcony cannot protect the bottom from the rain. But the wood looks ok not rotted yet.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: