Help fixing this bird bath to our balcony

Old 02-15-24, 01:07 PM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help fixing this bird bath to our balcony

We have this very simple heated birdbath we'd like to install on our balcony but I'm coming up against problems I don't know how to solve...

The photos in that link will show the mounting options it comes with. This is a photo of the part of our balcony/railing we'd like to use for installation but...
-
that top railing (covered now by pine branches) isn't flat, it's slightly rounded. So it doesn't take things clamped to it well. If there's another way that's done, I don't know it.
- the railing's also metal. So there's nothing I can actually screw into with the mounts
- That is pretty much the only place it can go but the rest of the rail is the same anyway.

Any ideas? I'm completely stuck.
Thank you!

Old 02-15-24, 01:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,945 Upvotes on 1,746 Posts
You could maybe make a small U-shaped cap out of wood (1x4 or similar) to simply sit over the top of your handrail. Maybe 3 pieces 16" long. Fasten them together, sit it on top of the railing. It will wobble around until you put a filler across 2 or 3 of your ballusters to lock it in place. Can't tell you the measurement but if you measure from the sides of your cap back to the balluster, a filler that width, fastened through both sides of your wooden cap would keep it fixed so that it doesn't wobble around. The bottom piece of wood would be held tight against the ballusters on each side.

Then fasten the bird bath to that wooden cap.

Old 02-15-24, 02:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,047 Upvotes on 3,631 Posts
It would be very helpful to see a picture of the balcony top with no greens.

Old 02-15-24, 02:55 PM
T
Photos that show the top of the railing...

Old 02-15-24, 03:35 PM
Group Moderator
The birdbath you originally chose comes with a mount that should work on the rail.
If not.......
You could opt for a different model with what looks like an easier way to mount.
Birdbath for deck.

You may need to bend either bracket so that it fits the curve better. (pic 01)

Old 02-15-24, 04:03 PM
T
Well, the thing is I've already bought this one and I'm not eager to throw it out.
It does come with that mount/clamp but the rounded top of the rail as I showed in the photos makes it impossible for it to attach without sliding. It simply doesn't stick. Foam I tried to add for grip only made it springy and less stable. The brackets on mine can't be bent.

Old 02-16-24, 04:56 AM
M
Received 296 Upvotes on 266 Posts
Hard to see exactly how the bracket attaches to the railing.

I would get some round dowels of the correct diameter and cut two small pieces.
Then the dowels go on the top outside edges and you clamp it down.
I cannot see how wide that clamp is so cannot say if the dowels will stay in place without more jiggery pokery.

Old 02-16-24, 01:37 PM
T
I don't understand how the conversation flows in this forum, it seems completely disjointed, but I'll try to tag @manden.

The problem with your suggestion is that the clamp goes on as in the photos of the product like a letter C, not over the top like a small letter n. So the dowel thing wouldn't work.

Old 02-16-24, 02:07 PM
Group Moderator
Is the top bracket bendable to follow the railing curve ?
The top bracket is straight....either bend it to match the curve or put a screw in it.

Old 02-16-24, 02:42 PM
T
it's solid steel. Not in any way bendable.

Old 02-17-24, 07:32 AM
Received 60 Upvotes on 54 Posts
Buy a muffler clamp large enough to clamp onto the railing pipe, use it to attach a 1x4 board to the railing then use the mount from the bath with the 4 holes to screw the bath to the 1x4 board.

tinpanalley voted this post useful.
Old 02-17-24, 08:50 AM
T
You guys offer a lot of interesting ideas but I can't visualise a lot of them, like the muffler clamp idea. I get what a muffler clamp is, I just don't get how you attach wood to it? DIY forums need a sketch pad feature

Old 02-18-24, 07:22 AM
Received 60 Upvotes on 54 Posts
The muffler clamp or tv antenna clamp either one will be on the railing with the nut ends top and bottom of rail. Get one long enough to clamp on the railing and have room for the board to mount. Drill holes in the board to allow the ends to go through. Then put the clamp on the railing, the bracket part of the clamp, then the board then the nuts. You may need washers also depending on the hardness of the wood. The board can be longer to allow the bath to be higher or lower than the railing or if you mount the board horizontal then the bath could be to the left or right of the clamp. Hope this helps you visualize what I am saying.

Old 02-18-24, 01:56 PM
T
I really genuinely have no clue how to visualise what you're saying or how what I'm looking up as muffler or tv antenna clamps would work. But it's fine, thanks anyway.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: