DYI walk, garden bed and concrete step question

Old 04-06-24, 10:38 AM
S
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
DYI walk, garden bed and concrete step question

Hello Friends!

As spring rolls around, so do the projects. This year I am planning to redo the walk, garden bed, and (potentially) the concrete steps pictured below.

In terms of the walk, I'm pretty sure I can do this myself. It already has a good base so I'll just remove the stones, add a bit of material to slope it away from the house, new pavers or interlock, and that'll be that.

And then I'll do my own research in terms of the garden bed but I'm assuming digging down a foot, adding 3/4 stone, and then a layer or two of blocks.
  • Question: In terms of the concrete step, is there a way to cover it with something, or do I have to remove the whole thing and start from scratch?

Thanks so much!
Nic

Old 04-06-24, 11:34 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,270 Upvotes on 2,022 Posts
First, I would not plan on reusing the base under your existing stepping stones. Pavers need a good base and it's the most important part of the project.

"...in terms of the garden bed but I'm assuming digging down a foot, adding 3/4 stone, and then a layer or two of blocks."
I don't know what you are planning but that does not sound like a way to make a garden bed or a raised bed.

What do you want to do with the steps? All you said was "cover up". You could paint them or do a thin overlay. I wouldn't count on either lasting forever but you could get several years before it might need redoing.

Old 04-08-24, 07:33 AM
S
Hello Dane - thanks for your response.

The base under the current pavers has been there for many years and I am hoping I don't have to dig everything up and start from scratch. I was going to add more material, grade, compact, and then lay my new pavers. I've also been looking at this rubber type base. It's pricier but since it's a smaller area I figure it might be worth it. I've never used it before and from what I gather this is a newer product on the market... Any thoughts on it?

For the garden bed I guess my thoughts were inspired by the retaining wall I built last year. Really what I want to do is put down a layer or two of blocks that look better than what I have now and that won't get all warped and wobbly after a winter.

Finally, for the steps I was talking about covering it with some kind of paver, but the more I think about this the more I think it wouldn't turn out too good (?). If this was my forever house, I would probably want to build that little porch out to the garage side door, but given I'm fixing it up to sell I'm probably just going to give it a good coat of some kind of paint in in a colour that matches whatever stepping stones I decide to put down.

Old 04-08-24, 09:03 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 127 Upvotes on 110 Posts
if it was me would likely extend the first step out all the way to allow use of the second door and use pavers to cover the old and new concrete may have to cut or break them for a good fit then just level and do the rest of the walkway.

Old 04-08-24, 09:55 AM
S
if it was me would likely extend the first step out all the way to allow use of the second door and use pavers to cover the old and new concrete may have to cut or break them for a good fit then just level and do the rest of the walkway.
Do you mean extend the step using poured concrete and then put pavers on the whole thing? I'm worried that won't turn out too good?

Old 04-08-24, 10:12 AM
A
yes like you said its not your forever home I think it would look much better than what you have now a couple of forms some 1/2 inch foam board along the foundation and existing step for expansion joints that would stay there after the pouring the concrete does not have to be that great since its going to be covered by pavers anyway.
little unusual door way think just a single stair would look odd and be in the way but if you extended the whole first step out past the garage door.

Old 04-08-24, 10:36 AM
A
as for the pavers I would not install them permanently would likely use some form of adhesive so they could be removed and leveled or replaced if they ever needed it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: