Filling the Gaps between Flagstones in Walkway

Old 04-09-24, 06:46 PM
P
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Filling the Gaps between Flagstones in Walkway

My yard has a 3-foot-wide walkway made from flagstone. Between the pieces of flagstone is just dirt and sand. Over the last 20 years I've been using a blower to sweep the stuff off the flagstone, and now there are several places in which the dirt/sand have been blown out.

I have thought about removing all of the dirt between the flagstones, filling a bucket with concrete, and then pouring the concrete between the flagstones from the bottom to the top of the flagstones. However, I'm not sure what kind of concrete to use. Won't the concrete shrink? The concrete I need should be something that I can just mix with water and then work with for an hour before it starts to harden. What should I look for when buying the concrete?

Last edited by Pipsisiwah; 04-09-24 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Add photo
Old 04-10-24, 05:02 AM
W
Received 36 Upvotes on 30 Posts
I would not use concrete. It will eventually crack and crumble. I used polymeric sand to fill paver joints and it has lasted for years.

Old 04-10-24, 05:24 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,326 Upvotes on 2,068 Posts
How are your pavers set? Is there a concrete walkway underneath that the stones are mortared to or are they sitting on top of soil or crushed stones?

Old 04-10-24, 06:09 AM
P
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
@Pilot Dane
When I reset the flagstone in 2008 I put them on sand. It sure did look nice for the first 3-4 years but gradually the sand washed out in a few places.
The walkway is about 50 feet long.

@Wayne Mitchell
How many years would you say the concrete would crumble, and how many years has the polymeric sand lasted? I'm asking because I'm over 80 and I don't know how much longer I'll last .

Old 04-10-24, 07:31 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,326 Upvotes on 2,068 Posts
Since the stones are not mortared to anything below they will move slightly. So, it is not a good idea to mortar the joints as the joints will soon crack. Just add more sand periodically or use polymeric for longer lasting results.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: