Cedar Wood Deck Care- No To Pressure Washing?

Old 05-11-24, 10:22 AM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cedar Wood Deck Care- No To Pressure Washing?

Any cleaning solutions recommended for cedar wood? I've read it's not recommended to pressure wash this type of wood. I made the mistake of leaving a rug covering a majority of the deck over the winter. There are also other dark spots from debris from the tree above.

Top Answer

05-12-24, 02:13 AM
marksr
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 874 Upvotes on 765 Posts
I have heard that chlorine bleach can damage wood.
I've been using bleach to clean decks for over 50 yrs. As far as I know the only way you'd hurt the wood would be to leave uncut bleach on for too long. The bigger danger is using too much pressure - pressure washing with the wrong tip or tip too close to the wood.

I wet the deck, apply the bleach solution with a pump up garden sprayer and then rinse well before it dries.

Old 05-11-24, 11:03 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,316 Upvotes on 2,061 Posts
There are a number of deck cleaning products you can use. More mild ones are soaps. You apply and can scrub the deck with a stiff bristled brush or push broom. For something more aggressive there are outdoor cleaners that also contain bleach. They are harder on the wood but the bleaching provides a brightening without as much scrubbing.

I sometimes use Star-Brite teak products mainly because I have it on hand. I use the teak cleaner for... cleaning. Then if there are stains or sun bleaching like from your carpet I will follow up with their brightener to bleach it to a more uniform color. Then I oil the wood. I like oil because it helps replace some of the natural wood oils removed by time, weather and cleaning. Oil will naturally wear away over time so you can reapply anytime in the future without having to strip anything off. Think first before applying Star-Brite teak oil. It's good stuff, and has UV inhibitors but it's base is tung oil which will harden so make sure it's a look you like. For handrails I will apply multiple coats of oil for a more finished look. For decks I apply only one coat then come back and give a quick rubbing with a rag to remove any access. This leaves a more natural looking appearance while still leaving the wood rough so it's non-slip.

malerba3000 voted this post useful.
Old 05-11-24, 12:57 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
It's ok to pressure wash cedar BUT you shouldn't use pressure alone or too much pressure. Let the cleaner to the bulk of the work and think of the PWer as an aide for rinsing.

Old 05-11-24, 05:11 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,287 Upvotes on 1,225 Posts
It's not the easiest thing on wood but it's cheap so I use bleach. I soak the deck with clear water first, spray on a 50/50 bleach water mix, scrub with a brush and then rinse with clean water.

That said, it may take a while for the two areas to match so you might want to consider a solid body stain.

Old 05-11-24, 06:02 PM
Received 399 Upvotes on 348 Posts
I have heard that chlorine bleach can damage wood. I use Oxy-clean with a stiff push broom on my redwood deck. It removes the green “algae/moss” that grows in the shady areas and lightens the wood overall. I do not use any oil or stain and the wood weathers to a natural grey.

Old 05-12-24, 02:13 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I have heard that chlorine bleach can damage wood.
I've been using bleach to clean decks for over 50 yrs. As far as I know the only way you'd hurt the wood would be to leave uncut bleach on for too long. The bigger danger is using too much pressure - pressure washing with the wrong tip or tip too close to the wood.

I wet the deck, apply the bleach solution with a pump up garden sprayer and then rinse well before it dries.

2john02458, malerba3000 voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: