Game/hangout room for teen boy AND girl?

Old 02-26-18, 01:12 PM
K
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Game/hangout room for teen boy AND girl?

I realize I'm probably asking for too much here.... Just looking for some ideas, pointers, links to design sites etc... on how to design/decorate a cool game/hangout/??? room for soon to be teenagers. Son is sports & video game nut; daughter is all about animals. I gave them the "study" in new home as their game room, so they would have somewhere close-by to get away from each other without hiding upstairs in their bedrooms.

The room is 11x12, french(?) doors, 2 windows on one wall and one on other (lots of light!), dark blinds, new but uncomfortable brown carpet, light gray-ish walls. So far the room has my son's Xbox/TV, aquarium and a couple bean bag type chairs.

I was thinking about a Minecraft cave; they have both played that game off and on for years. They'd probably love it now, but I don't know about in a couple years.

Decorating for my son would be easy, but not coming up with ideas that daughter would like too is hard.

If I ask them for ideas.... don't even want to think about it the arguments and complexity! I've googled and looked on pinterest but most rooms are for boy or girl, not both.

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-26-18, 01:18 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,262 Upvotes on 1,203 Posts
My first question is whether you think both will actually use the room.

Old 02-26-18, 01:36 PM
K
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Good question :-) So far one or the other will go in there to get away / play on their ipad.

Old 02-26-18, 03:39 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
I think you are overthinking "designing" the room. Teenagers have been making themselves home in basements and other dark corners for decades. A themed space is not needed. A couple comfy chairs, a strong wifi with fast Internet and outlets for charging are probably the minimum required. After that let the kids decide (within reason) how the room looks.

Old 02-26-18, 08:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
so they would have somewhere close-by to get away from each other
That's going to be pretty tough in the same room.

I'm with Dane...... nothing fancy. Decent sized wall mounted TV. Decent but not expensive music system or integrated with the TV. Shelves or closets for "stuff".

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: