Trafficmaster Ceramica tile for backsplash

Old 06-21-16, 03:14 PM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Trafficmaster Ceramica tile for backsplash

Hi: I'm wanting to install Trafficmaster Ceramica peel and stick tile as a backsplash in my kitchen, but the tiles won't stay stuck to the wall. I've noticed a couple of articles on this site that says to use extra adhesive to get them to stick better.
Just wondering if anyone can tell me what would be a good adhesive to use. On another site, someone had suggested using PL Premium. I was looking at No More Nails Tub Surround adhesive and wondering if that would do the job.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 06-21-16, 07:47 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
It's not supposed to stick vertically, it's a floor tile. The adhesive is tacky, pressure sensitive, so it needs the weight of the tile to bond. I've found the best adhesive for this is a thick bodied type such as cove-base adhesive. You can also use some sheet goods adhesives. I don't recommend glues that come in a tube cuz you want 100% coverage.

Vinyl tiles on a backsplash isn't the greatest idea, is there a stove involved?

Jaz

Old 06-22-16, 05:23 PM
I
I'm putting a special stainless backsplash behind the stove that is designed for that very purpose. The ceramica is just for on the walls - for looks more than anything else. I have a big window right over my sink, so it's the rest of the walls.

The ceramica is much heavier and thicker than your average vinyl tile - it's actually designed so that you can grout it.

I know that the self stick glue on the back won't hold to a wall - I'm just wondering what I can enhance it with to make it stick more thoroughly. What are the sheets good adhesives and cove-base adhesives that you are talking about?

Old 06-22-16, 06:20 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cove base adhesive is adhesive for cove base, simple enough. Cove base is that vinyl or rubber 2.5", 4" or 6" high molding sometimes used in commercial areas or basements to cover the gap where floor meets walls. You've seen it many times.

The can will say Cove Base Adhesive. Sheet goods is what vinyl sheet floors are called. They usually come in widths such as 12' wide. Some people call it linoleum.

Jaz

Old 06-22-16, 06:38 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Use FRP adhesive - Fiberglass Reinforced Panel adhesive. It is those plastic white 4x8 dimply sheets you see in bathrooms and commercial kitchens. Real sticky and you trowel it on. It will hold your 12x12 tiles just fine.

Old 06-26-16, 09:18 AM
I
Thanks for the advice, Czizzi. I picked up some of that adhesive and you are right - it holds the tiles perfectly.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: