Stove/Cabinet question

Old 07-04-16, 05:57 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Stove/Cabinet question

Hello again,

I'm hoping someone who either enjoys this, or is knowledgeable can lend some advice... I am looking to at least somewhat update the look of my kitchen. The cabinets are in decent shape as far as functionality (at least as far as a single guy is concerned) but are very dated looking. I think I have settled on painting them white, and probably adding some basic trim to them to make them look a little more modern (thinking something like what is shown here: Kitchen: Cabinet Resurface - Pennies per Door - Its Overflowing )

Anyway the stove (natural gas) is at the end of the counter and is pushed up against a boxed in 4x4 support holding a header up (about 6x6). There is also something that comes out the same distance (approximately 6") from the wall to the back of the rest of the stove. I'm not sure if this is just because the stove wouldn't sit flush against anything if it was only against the post, or if it is to protect the gas line going in, or for some other reason.

Getting to the question... I would like to put in a hood over the stove. I am currently thinking trim the two cabinets above the stove so there is ~30" above the stovetop and place a hood there. However this will not be centered over the stove unless it sits 6" or so away from the back wall. Alternatively I could try and trim the counter/floor cabinets down 6" or so and have everything on the side of the post. Slightly more cutting and slightly less cabinet space down the road, but it may look better. Counter top will likely be replaced at some point so I'm not overly concerned about it being a perfect cut.

Thoughts on this, that or the other thing? I appreciate the help!

Name:  IMG_20160704_072839535.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  23.6 KB

Name:  IMG_20160704_072909822.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  18.0 KB

Name:  IMG_20160704_072844063.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  23.7 KB

Name:  IMG_20160704_072925731.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  25.2 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-16, 06:27 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
I'd either frame out behind the stove so the hood will directly above the stove or move the stove to the right.

Personally I like the knotty pine and poly generally looks better longer than paint but if you intend to paint them, you might find this helpful - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/pa...t-repaint.html

Old 07-04-16, 07:16 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
From a non-painter's perspective, you will hate all that white. White walls, white countertop, white backsplash and white cabinets. While they may be dated, they are in good shape and natural wood is a sought after look in some instances.

I can't tell the width of the base cabinet to the right of the stove, but I would remove it and cut the countertop so the stove could more comfortably slide in and back to the wall. Move the removed cabinet to the left of the stove. It will stick out a little more than the rest, but you can either recycle the cut countertop or make a butcherblock top to it, thereby saving a little space. You could even cut the back out of the cabinet so it will match the remaining cabinet depth and custom a countertop on it.

Just thinkin' out loud.

That extension is purely cosmetic to match the depth the stove was forced to be pulled from the wall and can be easily removed.

Old 07-04-16, 03:43 PM
A
Thanks for the insight and link. So the link does not reference stripping the old stain off, am I reading that correctly?

Agreed it will be too much white, but I am thinking of painting the walls a light yellow or maybe grey, as well as replacing the counter top at some point so that will hopefully balance out the color.

The counter top is 2' x 10.5'

Old 07-05-16, 04:21 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
I don't think your cabinets have been stained, looks like oil base poly that has ambered over the years. Ideally the poly/varnish would be stripped but scuff sanding and applying a solvent based primer is a lot easier/quicker! ... and will produce good results.

Old 03-31-18, 08:45 AM
A
Just to close the loop on this post I trimmed the cabenits above the stove, scuff sanded, added some 1/8" thick 2" wide trim (ripped from 4x8' sheet), primed with an oil based primer, painted with a cabinet specific latex paint (probably a waste is an extra $15/gallon but who knows), painted the walls grey and added a new back splash/cabenit hardware. Came out nice for $300-400 and a lot of time. It was completed about 9 months ago with tenants living in there since and it's held up well so far. Pictures in the link below. https://photos.app.goo.gl/sIJmVmOlMY4WoW3J2