Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Understanding a Previous Homeowner's Towel Bar Mounting

Old 10-29-16, 02:04 PM
S
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts

I have to re-mount a towel bar in the master bathroom because the person who did originally apparently was not aware of drywall anchor mounts (the one side of the towel bar screws worked loose from the wall).

What makes me post is that the person(s) who mounted that towel bar used different screws (slightly different length). As I was removing them, I didn't take notice of which screws came from which end. I'm guessing the one pair of screws on the mount that did not work loose were in a stud (I can tell from wall knocking really if there is a stud there). The one pair (the loosened?) of screws are longer and had drywall dust in the threads, the others not. Generally a towel bar mount assembly would come with the same set of screws, so I'm curious why the sets differed. That's question #1

Also, the towel bar was mounted not directly on the wall, but through what appears to be some moulding cut for the length of the bar. It was ugly with other screw holes in it, so I had to think it was for a purpose other than decorative. If it was used in belief that it stops screws coming loose from drywall, it failed. Why would the moulding have been used? That's question #2

Old 10-29-16, 02:32 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
Not going to do you any good to waste time trying to figure it out, just need to figure out how to remount correctly.
Need to figure out where the studs are.

Old 10-29-16, 03:01 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Why would the moulding have been used?
Since one end was screwed to a stud and the installer didn't know what a drywall anchor was I would assume the molding was an attempt to give some limited strength to the floating end.

In other words, the molding was secured to the stud along with the solid end of the bar, probably using the longer screws to allow for the thickness of the molding. Then the other end of the bar was fastened through the molding and into the drywall with the hope the molding would give it some strength. Nice try, even if it was futile.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: