Bathroom Floor

Old 12-17-16, 10:36 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bathroom Floor

I'm in the process of redoing the downstairs basement bathroom. It appears to me that the floor is tiled over concrete. It seems that the previous owners may have just opened some "ditches" in the floor to run the plumbing for the toilet and corner shower.

I would like to completely break that concrete up, redo the plumbing (some leaks) but am wondering what to do for replacement floor. Can I just lay down some plywood subflooring or would I need to concrete the floor all over again? It looks like it may be the foundation basement flooring that is there.

I'm a DIYer for sure and have no experience with any of this. I did buy a electric demo hammer but still have some doubts as to whether or not I should break the concrete up in that room.

Also, it looks as if the previous owner chiseled out a base for the floor frames and sat them level with the flooring. How would that come into play if I remove the whole floor?

Name:  Floor.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  46.3 KBName:  Toilet.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  35.6 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-16, 10:43 AM
Group Moderator
Received 714 Votes on 661 Posts
How did you arrive at the conclusion that you have sewer leaks in the concrete floor?

No you do not use wood to patch a concrete floor!

Old 12-17-16, 11:22 AM
Well, the wall to the left of where the toilet goes gets wet on the outside floor/carpet.

So if I chisel up all the concrete, I need to fill in the space with new concrete is what you're saying?

Old 12-17-16, 11:29 AM
Group Moderator
Yes, use concrete. Judging by the condition of the wood near the bottom of your concrete block walls, that water could be coming from outside the foundation and could be unrelated to the sewer. Or maybe it's all from that shower that never had a proper sloped mud pan, membrane or drain.

Old 12-17-16, 11:55 AM
Thanks, XS. I'm thinking the leak could have been from the toilet that was in there. While taking it apart, it appeared the tank had a slope to it and one of the anchor bolts was bent.

It still may be a sewer line leak as when I bought the home and during the inspection, that shower was turned on to let run and the drainage was just coming through under the floor into the basement.

Should those sewer lines maybe have a check valve inline possibly to prevent something like that from happening?

I appreciate the help on this. I want to redo this the right way and don't want to miss anything.

Thank you!

Old 12-17-16, 12:02 PM
Group Moderator
Czizzi is a member here that can give you good advice on the shower. Along with the web pages from "the floor elf", his advice helped me when I did something similar. A leaking wax seal under a rocking toilet could be the culprit too.

Sewer lines don't usually have check valves.

Old 12-23-16, 03:49 PM
I demo hammered the tile off the floor today. The tile portion was a real SOB to do and I had to use the electric demo hammer to get the tile up. This also picked up some of the tile set in some areas and exposed what appears to be a concrete floor underneath.

I also demo hammered the mortar that was under the shower base. This was pretty thick, maybe three inches in depth, but came up nicely with the demo hammer. That is cement under there also.

It appears whoever put this bathroom in added self leveling material where the tile sat around the shower base.

I have on order a diamond 4.5" cup for my Dewalt angle grinder to grind off the thinset to bare cement. I also bought the vacuum fitting to keep the dust down. My concern is with how level the actual floor is going to be. If I replace the shower base with another like model, and need to add 3" of mortar under it, it will be sitting way high and would need to rest of the floor to have a self leveling concrete added to even the floor out with the shower base.

All I really want to do is get the thinset off and the floor to bare concrete. I'm not looking to redo the tile but rather throw some simple roll lineolium down. I don't want to put thousands into this bath and am looking for a cheap all around floor that will look decent.

Below is the heaviest area of thinset near where the ****ter was.

Name:  AfterTile2.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  33.8 KB

Attached Images  
Old 12-24-16, 12:38 AM
Received 394 Votes on 368 Posts
Im still back a few posts and trying to understand where the original leak was coming from before jumping to the new shower install.

You stated that "when I bought the home and during the inspection, that shower was turned on to let run and the drainage was just coming through under the floor into the basement".

Then you mentioned "I'm thinking the leak could have been from the toilet that was in there. While taking it apart, it appeared the tank had a slope to it and one of the anchor bolts was bent".

So do you have the leak figured out before you start the discussion on the new shower?

Old 12-24-16, 07:11 AM
I think the leak was both from the toilet tank and the shower drain. When I removed the drain flange on the shower drain yesterday, it certainly wasn't glued to the drain pipe as it simply lifted right off.

I think they were both leaking and running down the back wall into the finished part of the basement.