Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

What is this ugly medicine cabinet thing under my mirror in my old ugly bathroom

What is this ugly medicine cabinet thing under my mirror in my old ugly bathroom

Old 01-01-17, 10:09 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Yes, I'm going to be eventually remodeling my bathroom. Just moved in 2 years ago and it's a 1971 small ranch. I'm wondering though what this "cutout" area underneath the old mirror is and is there any way to improve it or put in a little cabinet or something? Of course, I'd have to figure out where to put the electrical outlet then also.

Any ideas? What is it? What year were these things popular? I can see that toothbrushes were supposed to go to the right, but I'll never keep mine in there!

Oh by the way, while I've got the pic there - Is there any way to change or get rid of that skinny closet door? It's a little hard to open and close.

Thanks
Name:  IMG_0690JPG.jpg
Views: 1013
Size:  26.9 KB

Old 01-02-17, 12:02 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
You got it, it's storage, like a small medicine cabinet for everyday items. Seems like the ones I've seen (years and years ago) had mirrored hinged or sliding doors? Couldn't tell you when they were in use, but I remember seeing them in the 60's and 70's. I imagine the old farmhouses and such where they were, probably had bathrooms from the 40's maybe 50's? Some you could tell were just added on to the side of the house, probably had an outhouse originally.

Heres a similar one...Vintage Hall Mack Chrome Recessed Patterned Glass Door Medicine Cabinet 42" Long | eBay

And this has no pictures but read the description/specs for model 341 and 342. https://archive.org/stream/HallMackC...%20Co_djvu.txt

For pics, click on the "see other formats" in the upper right corner. Should take you right to a full color catalog. Click the magnifying glass to "search inside", the use the arrows at the bottom to navigate. Page 2 &3 have what looks like it.

Looks like I was off a bit, that catalog was from 1959 and it called that a new product. Probably many other makers of similar products.

Well, you can tell I just watched Sherlock on PBS. Was in quite the sleuthing mode. That enough info for ya? Get some frosted glass doors and sell that puppy on Ebay!

Old 01-02-17, 03:17 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Pink sink, metal banded formica and that gosh awful medicine cabinet combination, I'd agree with Vic that it was early 60's

Old 01-02-17, 03:19 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I have a similar 'cabinet' over my shop sink. Mine has sliding glass doors although the knobs on the mirrors have long since went missing. If I didn't want the extra storage I'd be inclined to remove it and cover the hole with drywall. Not sure if you're allowed to have an outlet that close to the sink, needs to be GFI if it is allowed.

Old 01-02-17, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Yeah Mark, back when these were the rage, some had a shaver/utility outlet built in. Probably just 2 prong.

Kinda looks like someone substituted a more modern outlet. Still don't know if it's GFCI though.

Brian, what do you mean hard to open and close the little door? Because of the entry door and their relative positions? That will never get better with any kind of door, there will always be interference when one is open.

You could remove the door, fill in the hinge mortises and just leave the closet open as towel and linen storage. Personally, I like to hide my stuff (lotions, potions, pills, and syrups) so that open look isn't for me.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: