Installing an "almost flat" drop-in sink

Old 01-24-17, 10:12 AM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Installing an "almost flat" drop-in sink

Remodeling project: replacing the old painted metal bathroom sink.

I bought a new sink over a year ago ("I'll get around to actually installing it some day, dear") I've discovered that the surface that rests on the counter is not entirely flat - there are 1/8-inch gaps between the sink and counter-top at 3 & 9 o'clock. I don't want to just over-caulk it. Do they make under-the-counter clamps (like on the old steel one) that would help close the gap?

Or something else?

Yes, the counter is flat and level.

I can't return the sink because of my procrastination...

Old 01-24-17, 10:34 AM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
What material is the sink? Any type of clamp would require a mounting point be built into the sink to have something for the clamp to pull against, does your sink have mounting channels or tapped inserts?

Does the sink flatten out if you put moderate pressure on it? If so, and if there are no provisions for mounting brackets, you may be able to use construction adhesive under the rim and weight the sink to hold it flat while it sets. Keep in mind if you do that it won't come out again without destroying the vanity top.

Old 01-24-17, 10:54 AM
E
It's some kind of composite/molded/pseudo-ceramic-looking stuff.

Old 01-24-17, 12:40 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Sometimes they just aren't flat. You could return it and hope there were others that were flat. Well that is if the problem isn't that the vanity top isn't flat.

Old 01-24-17, 06:25 PM
Upvotes: 0
It sounds like you have a self-rimming sink, there is no way to clamp a self-rimming sink.

You should be able to caulk side gaps of 1/8" without it looking ugly or obvious.

Post back for some tips on caulk. My first tip would be to use 100% silicone that matches the sink color, the difference in caulk bead width will be less noticeable.

There is also a caulk color called translucent white, you probably won't find it in a home center or hardware store.

The 'tranny white' isn't white, more translucent and kind of takes on the color that surrounds it.
It's the choice of professional counter top installers in a lot of cases.

Old 01-30-17, 09:55 AM
E
We're good. White silicon caulk did the trick. Thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: