Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Looking for Advice - Honey Oak, paint/stain, granite?

Old 02-03-17, 09:36 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hello, I am looking to renovate my kitchen on a budget. I know I want to replace my blue countertops and have estimates for 2500 installed for base-level granite. I am looking at something like giallo ornamental.

I also, like everyone it seems, dislike my honey oak cabinets. I have used general finishes gel stain before and am debating staining the cabinets. I got an estimate for painting and it was way beyond my budget (3600$ and hoping to spend 1500 or less).

I am also planning to sell the house within 5 years and have to think about resale. What would you recommend for renovating on a budget? Gel stain (java or another color or is that out of style for resale?) or leave them (does anyone actually like oak) and put on pulls? Thanks for any ideas!!!

Old 02-03-17, 09:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
I would take one of the doors to a cabinet shop and see what new door they could make. I like the oak look but doors and drawer faces look plain.

Old 02-03-17, 09:44 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I like the honey oak Probably the easiest/quickest way to change the look of the cabinets would be sand it lightly and apply a tinted poly like Minwax's PolyShades. There is a limit on how dark you can go and still retain the grain. Care must be used when applying it as it doesn't touch up and lap marks, drips/runs, missed spots will all show!

Old 02-03-17, 09:46 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
I said in the other forum where you posted this that I would only replace the countertops but I would replace the sink as well with an undermount.

Old 02-03-17, 11:02 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
They look fine. I would not risk doing a bad diy finish on them and making them look even worse.

Old 02-03-17, 11:38 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I think your base cabinets look OK and pretty typical.
The problem IMO is the uppers look plain. The microwave also looks too low.

Here's a few ideas to consider, the cost would be somewhat reasonable for what you're gaining:

- A Solid Surface counter top with full tile splash. The integrated sinks are nice if you can afford it, there's no caulk to deal with.
- New arched doors for the uppers. Before measuring for new doors I would modify the upper cabinets by cutting out all the middle stiles.
Cutting out the stiles will give you more room. The doors will also butt at the center rather than the 2" gap/reveal.
- I would also modify the cabinet above the range by cutting out the middle stile and shortening the height to about 33" above the counter height.

Staining the new doors to match should be fairly easy.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: