DIY bathroom remodel

Old 02-09-17, 03:07 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
DIY bathroom remodel

I have an older bathroom I'd like to remodel myself. I am currently out of work and would like to put this time to good use.

The bathroom is 10 x 8 roughly and has a double sink, toilet and whirlpool shower tub combo, and some closet space. My plan is to do a smaller tub and build a custom shower (extra space will be reclaimed by knocking out closet).

I have another bathroom in my apartment. I also have a friend who can help from time to time.

I have some elementary construction skills - i've hung a pre-hung door before. I'm a decent mechanic (rebuilt motorcycle fork).

I have some basic tools - table saw, drills, etc. I realize i'll have to buy new tools (tile saw) and borrow some from my father.

I have a basic understanding of plumbing (vents, p-traps, pipe angles) and electricity. Enough of an understanding that i know i will need to hire a plumber and possibly an electrician.

Do you guys think this is a project I can take on?

Name:  r1.jpg
Views: 723
Size:  32.3 KB

Name:  r2.jpg
Views: 816
Size:  32.1 KB

Name:  r3.jpg
Views: 767
Size:  44.1 KB

Name:  r4.jpg
Views: 881
Size:  45.4 KB

Name:  r5.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  30.2 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 02-09-17 at 03:44 PM. Reason: reoriented pictures
Old 02-09-17, 03:17 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
It certainly is a DIY project. First rule of thumb. Gut it all out down to studs. Even if you plan on using some items back, get them out of the way, remove the tile that was installed by a 4th grader and all the backing. Your tub may present special challenges due to its size and weight, plus the surround.

Once you have it back to studs, you can modify or upgrade your electrical, check on the plumbing, install new tub/shower controls, etc.

Old 02-09-17, 03:17 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
While it is something that can be diy, you need to carefully crunch the numbers and then add some to it. Projects like this always seem to cost more than you originally figure. Unless local codes dictate otherwise it can all be diy.

Old 02-09-17, 03:29 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I have another bathroom in my apartment.
Is the use of the term "apartment" a NY thing, or is there a landlord that you are dealing with?

Old 02-09-17, 03:57 PM
B
It's an apartment building, but I own the unit. I can do construction from 8-5pm i believe.

Old 02-09-17, 05:25 PM
B
This is the look im going for... contemporary.

Achievable for a rookie? I have time on my side. I will have cut up the floorboards and hire a plumber to reroute waste and supply lines.Name:  Screen Shot 2017-02-09 at 8.20.44 PM.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  24.3 KB

Old 02-10-17, 03:07 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Considering the bathroom in the picture takes up more than twice the space you have, I don't know. You have a closet for a shower. The one pictured is considerably larger than your closet, no? Fill us in on your dimensions of the bathroom including the tub area.

Old 02-12-17, 09:19 AM
B
The bathroom is 9 feet long by 8 feet wide (interior dimensions). The old tub is 6' long. I plan on using a smaller tub (5').

I'd like to maximize the shower space but it doesn't have to be as large as the one pictured.

I'll try to upload a sketchup shortly.

Old 02-12-17, 10:41 AM
B
Here is the layout of the current bathroom. Im not sure what's behind the tile in the upper right hand corner marked column.

Name:  FullSizeRender 3.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  25.3 KB

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: