Mounting tablet in kitchen

Old 02-13-17, 08:09 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Mounting tablet in kitchen

We are redoing the kitchen, and I was considering mounting a dedicated tablet either on a wall or under the cupboard. The tablet would be used for things like viewing recipes while cooking, keeping track of shopping lists, or watching netflix while doing dishes. It could display the outdoor temp, time, etc when not in use.

I'm in the design phase, and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas/advice before I go ahead.

My two options right now: mount it directly into the wall -- create a recess in the tiles, and mount the tablet there permanently. It would be removable via some hidden screws (likely at bottom of frame). There would also be a recessed electrical box / space for a plug there. This is a touch of an issue, as it's an exterior wall, and could affect insulation. The frame for the front would have to be custom built (likely peiced together plastic from a 3d printer). The nicest place to mount it would be right above the sink, but fear of water damage would make that impractical, so it would likley be pushed off to the side, halfway between the upper cupboard and counter top.

The other option is to hang it off the bottom of the kitchen cabinet, and have it fold out when in use. If I did this, I could add a pivot, to make it viewable from either the stove or the sink area. The plug would be in the cabinet above. I'm worried this wouldn't have as nice a feel to it though.

If anyone has done anything like this, and can offer some insight, I'd love to hear it.

Old 02-13-17, 12:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

It can be difficult to mount a tablet since there aren't any mounting holes.

I have a 22" Samsung LCD TV under my counter. I used a wall mounting bracket attached to the wall behind the TV. It normally sits flush against the wall but can swivel out and turn for different viewing locations.

Name:  tv bracket.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  28.1 KB

Old 02-14-17, 03:01 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I agree with Pete. Use an adjustable type pull out mount, or an under cabinet mount that puts the unit flush to the bottom of the cabinet when not in use. Mounting it flush with the wall will mean a bunch of reaching to access the screen and other problems with charging, removing, servicing, and even upgrading.

An example from a company called Griffin (no idea who they are)

Name:  griffinipad-sg.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  20.5 KB

Old 02-14-17, 04:03 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
FWIW. Think twice about any type of permanent mount. Two reasons! Because electronics seem to have a short life in terms of design and ability, you don't want a hole in the wall that must be patched or un-usable in just a few years. Also, use WiFi as a data stream, not hard wire. Again technology changes so quick, something new will be on the horizon making you system obsolete in a short time.

Old 02-15-17, 11:09 AM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The plan was to build a recess with an electrical outlet, and then have a mount which would hold a removable frame. Switching to another device would simply mean updating the frame to match the new devices' size. Having said that, my wife just decided that it wouldn't match the decor, so it will likley be a fold down mount at this point, mounted to the bottom of the upper cabinets. I still am going to require a screwdriver to remove it, so as to prevent the kids from wandering away with it...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: