Tension bar for shower curtain

Old 04-04-17, 10:03 AM
K
kjm
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Tension bar for shower curtain

Had bathroom redone with new tile in shower. Having trouble keeping tension rod for shower curtain stable when taking a hot shower (even with exhaust fan operating). Don't really want to drill into tile to secure and risk cracking. Any suggestions on a good tension rod product or other advice on how to secure?

roberten voted this post useful.
Old 04-04-17, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator
Received 388 Upvotes on 316 Posts
Is it falling off or just sliding out of place? If it's just sliding, well, that's what they do when the steam hits it. You just have to keep fixing it every now and then, if you don't want to drill a permanent rod.
If it's actually falling off, yeah, try another brand. I buy mine at Home Depot, and they've never fallen off.

Old 04-04-17, 11:22 AM
E
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
I hate hate hate those springloaded curtain rods and swore I would never have another. So I installed a cable and love it. You would have to drill the tile but I've drilled dozens now and haven't cracked one yet so you might reconsider that option.

Just my .02

Old 04-04-17, 04:26 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
There are stick on rings/pads that you can stick on your shower wall. Then install your tension rod.

Old 04-05-17, 07:23 AM
E
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
If you really don't want to drill the tile maybe you could get some brackets which could be epoxied to the wall upon which a curtain rod could rest.

As an aside, does anybody know where the idea for these tension rods came from? It seems like every house has one but I've never seen one in a hotel. We don't hang our clothes or our drapes from tension rods nor, as far as I can tell, do much of anything else with them. The spring resists compression but does very very little to resist downward or lateral forces as evidenced by everybody who's slipped and ended up wrapped in a curtain and whacked in the head by the tension bar! It just seems like a singularly terrible solution to the problem of hanging a shower curtain and yet is ubiquitous. WHY? It makes no sense...

Old 04-05-17, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator
Received 388 Upvotes on 316 Posts
Tension rods have been around a long time for hanging lightweight cafe's in windows. Guess that's where they got the idea.
Personally I don't think it's that big a deal!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: