Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Removing laminate countertops and adding wood countertops

Old 04-04-17, 09:38 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I am looking to remove two laminates countertops and replace them with wood countertops. I guess some of the tiles will need to be replaced after removing the countertop.

Any advices on how to remove + install the new ones based on photos provided?

Thanks

Attached Images   
Old 04-04-17, 10:50 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
FIrst picture, would peel off the edging and veneer to see what the top is made of, might take a section out of the middle and pull sides inward to save tile.

Second picture looks like a shelf was added to a cabinet box. Anything underneath showing screws? Looks like it should just slip out if you can figure how it was attaced.

Old 04-05-17, 05:06 AM
B
Thanks so much! Yes it looks like screws would Ben underneath the second one. How about installing the wood countertops? Screws and glue?

Old 04-05-17, 02:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Screws most likely on the microwave shelf, but I doubt any fasteners are in the window ledge. Cut it into three sections with the middle one about 12" wide. Remove it and angle out the two side portions carefully so as not to damage your tile. If you do pop tile, leave them off until your new units are installed, then replace them and grout in place.

IF all you are replacing are these two units, repeat the steps on the microwave unit and just use silicone on the window unit, no screws.

Old 04-05-17, 03:00 PM
J
Try using an oscillating multi tool to remove the grout between the countertop and bottom row of tiles...this might spare the bottom row of tiles.. Regrout after new countertop installed.

Old 04-05-17, 06:45 PM
B
Thanks! Sounds great! nit sure I have all the tools needed for the Windows's one but I'll figure it out!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: