Tiling tip needed- A tiling 101 question

Old 04-14-17, 03:54 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Tiling tip needed- A tiling 101 question

I am totally new to laying tile. Yesterday, with a fresh batch of thinset, with a 1/2" notch trowel I applied thinset to the floor. Enough for 3 - 12x12 tiles. After the first tile was laid (about 3 minutes) I noted the remaining thinsetted area was slightly too dry to lay the remaining tiles, so I scraped it off.

Questions-

Before applying the thinset I took a damp sponge and wetted the area. Did the cement board absorb the moisture from the thinset causing it to dry prematurely?

Did I mix the thinset too dry to begin with?

Old 04-14-17, 04:50 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Maybe a little of all the above.

Cement board will suck moisture out of the thinset but that usually is only when it's really warm. Try getting your thinset to the consistency of wet, but stiff, oatmeal, you should have a good 15-20 min of work time.

Don't forget to back butter thoes tiles, two thin layers, one on the floor and one on the tile will get you a good bond.

1/2 trowel seems big, what is tile manufacturer recommend?

Old 04-14-17, 05:48 AM
Hi Marq,

Thanks for the feedback. I will give it a try. You are right about the trowel. Recommendation was 3/8". I was just trying 1/2 at the time.

Old 04-14-17, 06:18 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Read the instructions for mixing your thinset. It's common for them to say mix and then let it rest for 5 minutes then mix again before use. Microscopically it takes a little time for the portland cement to absorb the water so there is a period where it's not actually curing/hardening but it is getting thicker. So, try mixing then waiting a few minutes and mix again and see if the texture is still good. If not add a little bit more water (a very little bit) and mix again then start setting tiles.

Old 04-15-17, 03:09 AM
I have been mixing as the bag instructed with a 10 minute slake time. I was apparently just mixing too dry. I went a little more wet and much better results. And easier to work.

Thanks for your help.

Old 04-15-17, 06:08 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
And a light misting of water to the cement board with a spray bottle is acceptable!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: