Bathroom tub repair

Old 05-01-17, 06:29 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Bathroom tub repair

Hey everyone,
(background)
I am trying to repair my tub on the 2nd floor. We recently found out that it is leaking downstairs. We eliminated plumbing out by letting the water run from the spout into the tub and no water was detected on the ceiling on the first floor. However, whenever someone takes a long shower or is used several times consecutively, we can find water seeping down between the paint and the drywall. After some meticulous searching, I found some cracks in the sanded caulk and I started removing it using a blade, 5-in-1 painters tool, and a hammer. I was pretty good in the beginning so I thought I had it pretty down except I messed up. Instead of doing small segments like I did at first, I just hammered for about 6 inches and scratched the tub.

In the pic attached, you can see the long black segment where I kept hammering and damaging the tub.
You can also see that there is discoloration/mold in front of the caulk where the tile meets the tub, but there is an excessive amount in the back as shown by the stand alone piece of caulk in front of the tiles.

(?)
What can i do to repair the damages? I don't know what type of tub this is but I know the brand is American Standard. Is there a filler or gel you can apply to cover it. If the layer is left untouched and someone takes a shower, will the black layer rust?

Does anyone know what kind of tub this is?

I would like to avoid replacing the tub and tiles. I am going to the hardware store to buy a caulk remover gel for the rest of the caulk. Hopefully that will help. I'll try to respond when I can. Thanks

Name:  IMG_4456.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  19.7 KB

Old 05-01-17, 07:08 PM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
It looks like enamel or porcelain on steel to me. Acrylic or fiberglass are usually roughly the same color all the way through. You could try a touch up kit like those sold for touching up appliances.

Before you get too carried away trying to remove all the caulk, repeat your water test by filling the tub up half way and having someone stand in the tub. Sometimes tub drains won't leak when just running water into an empty tub, but when there is weight in the tub the gasket around the drain can leak.

Old 05-02-17, 06:18 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Generally the tub has a upward facing lip that is concealed behind the caulk. A simple crack or gap in the caulk often does NOT cause a leak unless water under pressure hits it like having the shower spraying on the problem area.

Old 05-12-17, 05:20 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sorry for the late reply. You both are right. There is a lip behind the tiles and I did the water test and it seemed fine. No water was found leaking downstairs. As I go about removing the rest of the caulk, I found out that you can apply a caulk remover to ease the process. How do i know which one will be safer for the porcelain tub. I am looking at these two products:

3M Indoor/Outdoor Caulk Remover (2153)
3M Indoor/Outdoor Caulk Remover (2153) - Adhesive Removers - Ace Hardware

Dap® Be-Gone® Latex Caulk Remover (18026)
Dap® Be-Gone® Latex Caulk Remover (18026) - Pure Silicone Caulk - Ace Hardware

Which one would you recommend is a better fit for a porcelain tub. I'm hesitant to try as they state safe for most surfaces. I would assume porcelain would be covered but I would like to know first. I appreciate your help. Also i got a kit to fix the black surfaces.

Thanks

Old 05-12-17, 07:27 PM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
I don't think either is likely to damage a porcelain tub. Porcelain is pretty tough stuff.

I have not used either one, but I'd probably try the 3m product first. Don't expect it to be magic....

Old 05-13-17, 05:00 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
I have always just scraped away caulk. A painters tool and straight blade razor work well.

How did you do your water test on the tiles? How is that different than when you are using the tub and it leaks? If I understand correctly it's only leaking when you shower. Taking a bath or running water in the tub does not cause the leak. In that case the first thing I would do is turn on the shower and aim it so it does not hit the walls. If your shower head sprays too wide and still hits the walls have someone hold a light towel or garbage bag around it so the water just goes down to the tub without hitting the walls. If you have the leak after doing the shower test your leak may be in the pipe connecting the faucet up to the shower head.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: