Remodel House with Design Software

Old 06-18-17, 06:59 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Remodel House with Design Software

I'm looking at buying a house that only has one bathroom, I want to add a second bathroom and move the master bedroom to the other side of the house. I'm looking for Remodelling Software that allows me to construct (draw) my house as it currently is (with one bathroom & bedrooms next to each other), then rearrange (redesign) the floor plan to meet my needs. The software would show me before and after floor plans and calculate what changes need to be made. For example adding a second bathroom requires adding walls and maybe removing a few walls or changes to existing walls, adding drains for the toilet and shower and running water and electricity. It would also calculate a bill of materials, etc..

Old 06-18-17, 08:50 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The 10 Best AutoCAD Alternatives 2015 | Creative Drum | UK

There are some programs there. Before you buy, ask the building dept if they will accept your plans. They may want plans from an architect to issue a permit.

Old 06-19-17, 05:31 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
There are numerous programs you can use to draw your before and after floor plans. I do not know of one that will tell do all the work of calculating what changed. Many programs also can create a bill of materials but I've found them to be only somewhat accurate if you are good about programming all the parameters correctly. So much of a project like that depends on the current structure of the home. A seemingly simple detail like the direction of the ceiling or floor joists can dramatically affect the construction and cost of remodeling.

Old 06-19-17, 12:31 PM
There are programs like 3D home that will let you draw out the house as is. You can save the original floor plan and then make changes and save as a new file name.
You have to know what you want to do though, the program will not add walls automatically or tell you how to build it.

There are also quite a few detail drawings needed to get a permit, here's an example:

Name:  foundation detail.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  20.0 KB

If you want to save money on an addition a good starting place is an existing floor plan with accurate measurements. It could even be a good sketch just to get started.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: