Salvaging a bathroom vanity & sink

Old 07-08-17, 11:07 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Salvaging a bathroom vanity & sink

We have a really old bathroom where the previous home owner built a vanity wood box around a wall mounted sink and then laid small bathroom tiles for the surrounding surface around the sink. (The pics can give you a better idea.) The small tiles are falling off and I'm looking for ideas on how to resurface the counter so I don't have to replace the sink or tear the entire box apart. My budget is $150. Laying new tiles wouldn't be a DIY option for me. (I'm not that handy.)

Anybody have an suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Name:  BathroomSink1.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  43.7 KB

Name:  BathroomSink2.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  44.6 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-17, 11:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
With that old mastic on there it will be hart to get anything to stick. I would look at HD or Lowes and see what they have in a new Vanity counter. Might find one near your budget.

Old 07-08-17, 04:24 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 681 Votes on 628 Posts
It looks like they did a "non-standard" installation. Using glue instead of thinset to mount the tile. I also guess there is wood underneath and not a proper backer for tile. Once a bit of water seeped through the wood swelled a bit and the glue was not able to hold the tile.

That is a can of worms type job. Once you try to do something with the tiles on the vanity top your dealing with the ones on the wall/back splash... I'd rip it all out and start over but that totally blows your budget.

One option is to remove all the tiles on the vanity top and find something new you can put down in their place. You'd be using glue on top of glue which is not good but it might last a few years especially if you use a good sealing grout like epoxy and are careful to not let water stand on the counter.

Old 07-08-17, 05:11 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
The fact that the mastic is standing high in ridges tells me that there never was a good bond as the tiles did not squish into the mastic to make good contact. Good news, tear out will be easy. I would find a similar sized mosaic that works with what you have. Use a good modified sticky thinset like Ultraflex II. Do a skim on the existing ridges, let dry overnight and then re-tile the top with the new mosaic. It looks like the counter it sized for that style and size mosaic, so definitely could be a simple DIY project. We are here to help.

Old 07-09-17, 11:23 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you Czizzi, Pilot Dane, and Pugsi for the suggestions. If I can find the mosaic tile that resembles the back splash, I'll try retiling. But if I can't we'll tear down the vanity box! I think we're going to re-do the entire bathroom in a few years from now. So we don't want to spend much money or time on it now. Thanks again for all of the replies.