Crown molding questions

Old 07-11-17, 03:34 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Crown molding questions

I am having new cabinets put in that go all the way to the ceiling, I also want to crown the walls.

The cabinets come with their own crown and it does not match any wall crown.

How should this be handled?

Should I try to join the two types together (hard due to very different profiles)?

Should I bullnose the wall crown so it doesn't touch the cabinet crown (very hard because they meet on an outside corner at one place)?

Should I just use ceiling crown everywhere and have the cabinet guys not install the cabinet crown (this sounds best but for some reason the cabinet guys don't seem to think this is a good idea, I'm not entirely sure why)?

I have not picked a specific crown molding for the rooms yet and am not terribly picky, just something like this House of Fara 5/8 in. x 3-1/8 in. x 8 ft. Primed White MDF Colonial Crown Moulding-8205 - The Home Depot so there is flexibility if a certain molding suits the purpose better.

The crown is going into a joined living room/kitchen/dining area with 8 ft ceilings, beige walls and white ceiling. Cabinets are white. Entire room space is approximately 20x30 with a peninsula in the middle.

Thanks for any advice!

Old 07-11-17, 03:48 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I'd continue with the crown you plan to use elsewhere unless it will interfere with the cabinet doors.
If the crown paints, prime and apply first coat of enamel to it prior to nailing it up.

Old 07-11-17, 03:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
The best option is to use the wall crown everywhere. It will be critical that the cabinet guys install a backer on top of the cabinets or at least leave space for it. They will need to know the exact moulding you want to use so as to know the height of the crown... because the cabinet height and the crown height are critical measurements. Put the cabinets too high or get too big of crown and you're kind of screwed.

IMO crown on cabinetry usually looks best if it's built out in front so that the bottom edge of the crown is even with the face of the cabinet doors... otherwise it looks odd if it's inset above the doors.

The cabinet guys likely feel like they are going to get in trouble setting the wall cabinet height when nothing is set in stone yet... If you tell them exactly what crown you will be using and bring them a sample, then they will know better where to set the wall cabinet height. They probably feel uneasy like they are the ones that will be screwed when the plan changes or if something goes wrong.

Old 07-11-17, 04:05 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Wall crown across the cabinets just doesn't sound like it would look good. Cabinet crown throughout the room would be better but for what they charge for cabinet trim that would be pricey.

If the crowns were the same height and you could change them at an inside corner that might work but you stated you have an outside corner so that is out,

Another option, lower the cabinets, that is what I have, crown on the top of the cabinets and trim around the ceiling so they are separated.

Old 07-11-17, 04:24 PM
D
Thanks guys, I will touch base with my cabinet guys and have them review the idea of using wall crown on the cabinets. I also don't see any other option to make it look good.

As for cabinet crown all around they said as much... too expensive to do over 100 ft in it....

Last edited by Devedander; 07-11-17 at 05:19 PM.
Old 07-11-17, 11:56 PM
I don't know where you are but I'm in a big city. I can usually find hardwood crown to match.
It's not cheap, but it's a lot less expensive than the finished crown ordered with the cabinets.

IMO crown on cabinetry usually looks best if it's built out in front so that the bottom edge of the crown is even with the face of the cabinet doors...
I agree, the crown looks much better. Do a search for full overlay crown molding.

Old 07-12-17, 06:33 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Crown

Will the cabinets be stained or painted? Will the wall crown be stained or painted?

Old 07-12-17, 08:32 AM
D
Thanks I will look into that!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: