Extending Kitchen into Dining Room w/Demo

Old 07-29-17, 01:03 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Extending Kitchen into Dining Room w/Demo

Hey all,

My husband and I are closing on a house in a few weeks and want to redo the kitchen. We have experience here but are having trouble 'designing' the kitchen. Our plan is to demo the wall inbetween the kitchen and the dining room (highlighted in blue below). The problem is that the kitchen goes 2' further back then the dining room. The plan is to have one large kitchen, but with the 2', I'm having trouble trying to figure out what to do. I have a quick drawing and I hope this will help. The cabinets that are drawn/labeled are there to depict what is currently in the house. I also posted actual pictures as that is what we are going to take out.

Any ideas on how we could still make this one big kitchen without having to actually extend the dining room? Maybe getting creative with the counter/cabinets... I'm stuck

Thanks!!

Name:  House.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  26.4 KB
Name:  house1.jpg
Views: 825
Size:  31.5 KB
Name:  house2.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  21.7 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-17, 01:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,118 Votes on 1,038 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Put a big fridge in the corner. It will extend out beyond the kitchen cabinets but just be short of the cabinets going in the dining room/new kitchen.

Also.... it looks like with the way the house was built.... there may be a load carrying beam in that blue wall you want to remove.

Old 07-29-17, 01:52 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi Pete - thank you for the advice!! Fridge in that corner could definitely work out... amazing how the simple things are overlooked once you are knee deep in this.

I'm 99% sure the load carrying beam goes the other way but great observation and I will definitely double check now!