Shower enclosure/walls from hotel remodels

Old 08-06-17, 10:13 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Shower enclosure/walls from hotel remodels

Hi,

not sure if this is the right forum, please move if need be.

I am planing on remodeling one of the showers in my investment property and just stayed at the hotel where the walls (all 3 of them) of the shower are completely separate from each other, or at least it seems, but caulked in every corner. The material looks like a 3/8" to 1/2" thick Corian or other plastic panels. They seem to hold up pretty good and shouldn't cost too much if I buy it used as recycled item after hotel remodel.
The question is where can I find them?

Thanks,

Old 08-06-17, 10:33 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Usually pricey - I believe Silestone is one brand name of solid surface material that they do shower walls for. You can also see if there is a cultured marble fabricator in your area. They can do custom work for you to your specs and have come a long way in what the product looks like. Some pretty realistic stone finishes are now available.

Old 08-06-17, 10:59 AM
N
Thanks czizzi,

I was looking at those options as new materials and they are pretty pricey imo,
how would you get a hold of the recycling yard or anything that resells used materials from hotel remodels?

Old 08-06-17, 12:40 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Most go directly into the dumpster unless the contractor wants to take the time to try to donate them to something like habitat for humanity. I try to donate as much as possible, but these big companies just demolish and move forward. The worker bees could care less.

Old 08-06-17, 05:46 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I have to agree with Czizzi, the stuff goes in the trash. It's sad but true.
I will try to save useable sinks and faucets and either put them on the curb or donate them.

Sinks and faucets are easily reusable, but the Corian is very heavy.
I bust it up with a hammer and carry it out in pieces. It's valuable (and renewable) but I am not willing to carry out a 200 pound wall just to sell it or give it away.

I've seen solid surface pieces that weigh around 300# or much more, that's the installers job to carry it in but not mine to carry it out.

Old 08-06-17, 06:24 PM
N
I here you guys,

it's not easy being green

I am not willing to carry such heavy items myself either, but there must be a market for it imo. The fact that most of the shower enclosures are probably heavily glued to the walls don't make it easy to remove either and then try to match one to another becomes problematic as well. I can see why it's not readily available, but it doesn't make me want to get one any less.
Oh well, back to Home Depot enclosures I guess.

Old 08-06-17, 06:49 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Just a suggestion, call a local solid surface fabricator. There are many names such as Corian, HI-Mac, etc. To me it's all the same.
The bottom line is it can all be polished to your desired sheen, and it's not going anywhere.

I only care about the skill of the fabricator and installers. If they are certified for installing Corian, they should be fine with the other material, there are standards and warranties that some companies take seriously.
For example a 10 year warranty is not uncommon, but expected to last much longer IMO if installed properly.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: