Clawfoot tub in wet room

Old 08-15-17, 06:54 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Clawfoot tub in wet room

Hello all,

We are in the process of building our house, doing most of the work ourselves. While designing the layout of the bathroom, we decided to turn the back part, with the tub and shower into one big wet room. The designated area is a little over 7' x 64". The tub will take up 64" x 34", leaving a huge area for a shower in the wet room. There will be a ledge, separating the wet room and the rest of the bathroom.

My question/concern is where to start the slope in the floor? I know tubs have to be level, but am also understanding that the whole wet room has to be sloped towards the drain. Would it be okay, code wise, to build up the tub area 3 1/2 to 4 inches and start the slope then?

Any suggestions/help is much appreciated, interpreting code is sometimes tricky and just need guidance to this right.

Thanks,
Kevin

Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-17, 04:56 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 619 Votes on 572 Posts
I would slope the entire wet room as needed and just shim the tub's feet to make it level. That way any splashed water that got under the tub will flow to the drain.

I would not put the tub on a raised section. That just complicates construction from framing all the way through waterproofing and tiling. And, worst of all, it creates something to stub your toe on.

Old 08-16-17, 05:16 AM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
What are your plans for the tub supply and drain. Traditional drains go through the floor and this negates your idea of a safe wet area.

Old 08-16-17, 01:55 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wetroom was the wrong word to use. I guess what I am asking, is could you have a curbless shower with a tub right next to it? If you did a decent slope, having the tub next to it on a level surface should not cause any problems. If the slope is 1/2"-1" every 12", a tub 24"-36" should be okay, with regards to water staying within the shower area with that slope?

I appreciate the input so far, please keep it coming.