Undermount kitchen sink installation

Old 10-01-17, 08:25 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Undermount kitchen sink installation

Hi experts, your help would be greatly appreciated on the following, thanks!

Im renovating my kitchen on my own but Im leaving the counter top and the undermount sink to the countertop experts for the installation.

I have read and heard various information for undermount sink types with QUARTZ countertop and I was hoping you can shed a light with my configuration as per below:

Countertop = QUARTZ (1 thick)
Sink = 18/10 Stainless Steel, 2 bowls (Large and small bowl) 31 wide, Depth on Large Bowl Side (20 5/8)

Type = Undermount

Note that the Large Bowl is curved on the back side, please see pic.
Space (width) available inside the sink cabinet = 32.

Before I bought the 32 undermount sink, I verified with my kitchen cabinet contact, same person that I will be buying the QUARTZ countertop from, and I was told that the 32 sink was NOT a problem, even if its a tight fit. That contact told me that the Countertop people will NOT use Clips but only EPOXY. My first question is, is this type of install good enough ??as Im thinking it is NOT (after various readings).

Also, the Installation Method, included with the sink is different as above, explained below:

The sheet says: adding a Plywood reinforcement underneath the counter top at the front and back of the cabinet. This plywood would be sandwiched in between the counter top and the top edge of cabinet, please see attached pic. What I understand of this, it would raise my countertop higher and I would have to do this on all of the top of the bottom cabinets to level my countertop.They say to apply silicone on the sinks flange but they do not mention how to affix the plywood to the countertop, from the pic Im guessing they are using screws.Is that considered a typical install ?? Should it be done that way ??

What is strange, the above Installation (with the plywood) is an included sheet titled Method 3 but there are NOT a Method 1 nor a Method 2 included in the box.

Ive read other installation methods elsewhere, can you please tell me if they can be an alternative to the mentioned above ones.

Ive read to insert blocks of wood (left and right) of sink, from front to back. Affix to the sides (left,right) of the Sink Bottom Cabinet, Im assuming these would be screwed to the side of the cabinet (??). Question: What about putting also a block at the front and back of sink, is that required ?

In my case, I will have a sponge drawer (front of cabinet), so I wouldnt be able to screw the block of wood along the front cabinet.
For the back area, well the larger bowl is curved and has more depth that the smaller bowl, Im guessing it is possible to add a block of wood but I would have to be a little more creative (??).

I guess Im looking at an installation that wont require a repair soon or none until the next kitchen make over (being in several years :O) thank you.

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-17, 04:30 AM
Received 230 Votes on 205 Posts
My first question is, is this type of install good enough ??as I’m thinking it is NOT (after various readings).
Although I don't like under mount just for the reason of repair and replace, I have never heard of a sink falling due to no clips or epoxy not holding. Replacement is a hassle because the epoxy has to be removed and that's a tough job. Over the top sinks just set on the counter to a get screwed down with clips. Much easier.

The sheet says: adding a ” Plywood reinforcement underneath the counter top at the front and back of the cabinet. This plywood would be sandwiched in between the counter top and the top edge of cabinet, please see attached pic. What I understand of this, it would raise my countertop ” higher and I would have to do this on all of the top of the bottom cabinets to level my countertop.
I think that's a typo. As the diagram shows the plywood is used under the counter top. Clips can used on the plywood and counter. Let your counter top installer advise you on the proper method. He's the expert.

Old 10-02-17, 06:56 AM
M
Thanks for the input Norm201. I guess I've heard differently (using EPOXY) and that I’m looking a piece of mind by using different and/or additional install options. Agreed, TOP SINK seems easier, as I looked at my current 33 year old one but my wife really wants the undermount, it’s her Kitchen, I get the Family Room :O)<br />
<br />
Yes, I will leave it to the Countertop experts but as anything else &amp;amp;amp;amp;quot;who knows how long the install will last&amp;amp;amp;amp;quot;, I'm just trying to understand and get a better grasp at this type of install so I can have a long lasting usable sink :O) If the Countertop experts are just putting EPOXY perhaps that I can solidify it better afterwards.<br />
<br />
I’ve read about an install using blocks (which I just relocated this morning pls see pic below) and as mentioned, perhaps I can do that afterwards. In my case I won’t be able to put any wood at the front of the cabinet (openable sponge tray), maybe I could at the back despite the shapes of the sink and flange. For the Left and Right side,I’d have inch available space, plus the amount of space available under the flange, I’m guessing 1 inch. I would like to know if that is feasible<br />
<br />
Other method read:

Attached Images  
Old 10-02-17, 08:09 AM
I haven't seen 3cm Quartz and I work on a lot of counters, 3cm Granite is common. Are you sure your quartz is 1-3/16"?
Usually quartz is 5/8" and has a 5/8" plywood underlayment. The front edge (buildup/bullnose) makes it appear ~1-1/4" thick.

If it is 5/8", the undermount sink flange sits on top of the plywood and is sandwiched between the ply and the counter. Silicone should be used, not epoxy.
I've never seen epoxy used on a sink and wouldn't want to.

If it is 3cm, you need the blocks, epoxy attached clips, or the block method. All three options are used with silicone, again not epoxy.

Here are a few links for clips/support:
https://www.plumbingsupply.com/image...ylic-frame.jpg
EZ Sink Clips ? Best Undermount Sink Clips

The links are just for reference.

Old 10-02-17, 11:58 AM
M
Many thanks Handyone, really appreciated.

Yes, I confirm the 3cm (1-3/16”) from my contact in Store, plus I just went to the manufacturer’s website today, please see pic below:
It’s QUARTZ and available in 1.2cm, 2cm, and 3cm. The model is PIETRA.

My contact told me that the installer won’t be using clips and will use Epoxy. I will confirm this when they come in (not soon though).

If the installers are just using (epoxy or silicone) without clips and without blocks, I would be interested afterwards to add the “Blocks” myself.

You wrote:
If it is 3cm, you need the blocks, epoxy attached clips, or the block method. All three options are used with silicone, again not epoxy.
(“Blocks” or the “block method” is that the same method or 2 different ones ??)

And since there will be only ” left on each side (left/right) as I have a 32” available inside the cabinet sink and the sink is 31 ” wide, I believe I won’t be able to put clips but I’m thinking that it’d be appropriate for blocks, would you say so ??

In regards to the front with the sponge tray/drawer, I think that I won’t be able to block it.

For the back of the sink, it is a curved shape and a bowl smaller than the other therefore not giving me a straight linear shape, but do you think that I can create a wood blocking system anyway that would do the trick ??

How would I affix the blocks (left/right), screws into wood then into cabinet gamble ?? See red (screws) in pic below:

I believe it’s a “no-no” to put screws into the countertop, from underneath, correct ?? Thanks.

Attached Images   
Old 10-02-17, 03:20 PM
"the blocks, epoxy attached clips, or the block method"

That was an error. I meant the side Brackets linked to above, or the blocks. You don't have room for the brackets. Also, no screws into counter.

Adding 1/4" blocks as you want to later is OK. You might get lucky and the side sink flanges sit on top of the cabinet side panels.
At the back you could add blocking, or the single hole faucet mounting washer might be large enough to clamp the back flange.

It sounds like you're OK. The only other option with 3cm is notch out the top of the side panels to make room for the epoxy clips.

Old 10-02-17, 06:05 PM
M
Many thanks HandyOne, appreciated the options.....
I will update the post accordingly when the project is done if this can help other viewers but it won't be soon as I have many other things to do before the undermount sink install.
Regards...