Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

100% Silicone caulking made a mess using painter tape for seam for backsplash

Old 10-12-17, 10:21 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I wanted to use clear silicone for the seam at the backsplash on my new vanity top (solid top, not stone) and ended up making a mess! I used painters tape to get what I thought would be a nice line and then waited a couple hours and pulled the tape off and it was like it was still wet and half of it pulled off!

Is there anything better to use than 100% silicone caulking?? Am I doing this wrong? Should I have just used my finger after laying the bead without the painters tape?

Old 10-12-17, 10:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
If you use tape, you have to pull it off immediately after you tool it with your finger, because silicone skins over so quickly. This assumes you have wiped it down to a feather edge on the tape. If you leave too much caulk on the tape it will still make a mess. Your tape lines should be parallel and only about 3/16" - 1/4" apart.

Another method (no tape)... caulk with silicone as neatly as possible then quickly spritz the caulk with isopropyl alcohol in a trigger mister and then tool the silicone. The silicone won't stick to anything you've sprayed. But you will need plenty of paper towels for your fingers. Just let the isopropyl alcohol alone, don't wipe it up.

Old 10-12-17, 11:25 PM
B
What about spreading it with a latex glove? What about regular (non silicone) caulk?

Old 10-13-17, 01:48 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Personally I hate 100% Silicone caulk, there are newer simonized latex bathroom/kitchen caulks that perform much better and are easier to install, wont allow mold etc.

Old 10-13-17, 04:47 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
Latex gloves are a pain. Silicone sticks quite well to them unless kept coated with alcohol. I prefer to simply use my finger. Then wipe off when done.

Old 10-13-17, 05:03 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I also don't use gloves but do keep a rag wet with the appropriate thinner handy both to clean my finger and remove any errant caulk if necessary.

Old 10-14-17, 12:39 AM
B
Ok guys I've decided to give it another go and I am going to practice resealing around my bathtub since after 2 years there is a lot of black mold or mildew on the seams around the tub.

Is it fairly easy to remove the old 100% silicone from the vanity seam at the backsplash on the new vanity top? Should I just try and pull out as much as I can by hand and then use a razor scraper lightly?

I think I will just try using some water a my finger and a rag like someone mentioned to do the new seams by practicing firs on the tub like I mentioned. Will that work?

Also, is 100% silicone safe to get on my finger? I thought I read a long while ago something about not getting silicone on your skin.

Old 10-14-17, 01:21 AM
B
Scratch that!

After I get the 100% silicone caulking off the new vanity top can anyone else recommend an alternative? It's a composite vanity top by the way so I don't think I NEED 100% silicone. Can I use clear latex caulking instead?

Then also when I re-caulk the tub I realize that most say to use 100% silicone around the tub, but someone else mentioned that latex might be the way to go. They said "Yes, you may have to replace it more often and it might not seal as well as 100% silicone, but it's not a pain to get off like 100% silicone is.

Ideas?

Old 10-14-17, 03:27 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Personally I think silicone is the way to go but whatever caulking you decide on - make sure it's a bath rm caulk! They have more mildecide in it.

Sometimes the caulk is easy to remove but other times it will make you fight to remove it. Whatever you use to scrape it wll help to use soap as a lubricant. Take your time and there shouldn't be any damage to the tile or tub.

Old 10-14-17, 04:21 AM
XSleeper pretty much covered how to lay a bead of silicone in post #2.
I have a Corian counter and the silicone caulk still looks good after almost 10 years, Here's what my pros do:

- Clean the area with denatured alcohol, apply a thin bead of silicone
- Lightly mist the bead with denatured alcohol
- Tool and wipe off the excess at the same time. Use your finger with a cloth rag stretched over the tip, make short strokes and change the rag often.

Like X said, don't try to wipe off the excess alcohol from the surrounding area, that will dry. Just focus on getting a nice bead without any excess caulk.

Old 10-14-17, 07:06 AM
Group Moderator
I think I will just try using some water a my finger and a rag like someone mentioned to do the new seams by practicing firs on the tub like I mentioned. Will that work?

If you are tooling latex caulk, you can use a little water. If you are tooling silicone, use alcohol.

Old 10-14-17, 10:37 AM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
When I made the backsplash around my laundry tub I used melamine shelving. At the seams I used a 100% silicone caulk in a small squeeze tube with the removable applicator tip. I cut the tip so only a small hole was in the end and then CAREFULLY squeezed only enough material to fill the seam. I did NOT try to "tool" it in any way. It came out looking fantastic.

Every time I have used my finger on caulk I have made a mess. All you need is the tiniest bead right in the joint.

Old 10-14-17, 12:45 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I used a 100% silicone caulk in a small squeeze tube with the removable applicator tip.
I'm fairly good with caulking gun and usually smooth it out and press it in with my finger [some jobs are better just caulked, no tooling] BUT the few times I've had to use one of those squeeze tubes - I made a mess

Old 10-14-17, 08:45 PM
B
what is "tooling"? Is that using one of those plastic caulk tools?

Old 10-14-17, 09:00 PM
Group Moderator
See post #2... "tool it with your finger". Or as Handyone said, tool it with a cloth over your finger. And yes, there are also actual caulk finishing tools you can use, if you prefer. If you reread the posts, they pretty much all talk about tooling... it would seem self explanatory.

Tooling is not "spreading" the caulk, it is about pressing it tightly into the joint so as to make 100% contact with all surfaces, with no air pockets, and it is also about neatly finishing the appearance of the bead, controlling it's size, assuring a smooth texture.

Old 10-15-17, 08:55 PM
B
THanks, I was looking for one of those plastic tools, maybe I'll use my finger though.

Old 10-15-17, 09:14 PM
Use your finger as discussed. If you do want to scoop up some excess caulk before using your finger, this is the best plastic tool I have used:
DAP CAP Caulk Finishing Tool-18570 - The Home Depot

The horse is nearly dead

Old 10-15-17, 11:24 PM
B
Ok, one more question. Can I use Ammonia free Glass Cleaner as the lube? I just watched a video on YT and the guy swore by it and showed step by step with 100% silicone and it came out great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45I81kHIKQg

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: