Concrete counter top cleaning and sealing

Old 11-07-17, 08:18 PM
Received 257 Votes on 231 Posts
Concrete counter top cleaning and sealing

Hope I'm not repeating that I suggested my customer to do by asking this question in our forum.

Lady has a concrete counter top. I'm guessing about a year old. She wants to know how to lighten the discoloration of one section and what would be a sealer that is food safety rated? Since many people here have talked about concrete countertops what is the suggested sealer to use if food preparation is being done of the counter top?

I'm assuming something like Thompson's sealer would not be a safe surface to prepare food on.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-17, 06:14 PM
WOW! No comments or suggestions?

Old 11-10-17, 03:55 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 332 Votes on 295 Posts
Norm, I don't know the answer but I'm sure TWS is not the correct coating. I would assume it already has some type of coating on it and that a thin coating like TWS wouldn't even adhere/dry well. Any reasons given for the discoloration?

Oops I just noticed the date on this thread

Last edited by marksr; 11-10-17 at 03:56 AM. Reason: old thread
Old 11-10-17, 04:49 AM
Oops I just noticed the date on this thread
Just 3 days old. Not that bad.

She never specifically told me what discolored the section. I kind of assumed just through use. She just told me it was a bit darker than the rest of the counter. I'm interested in an answer on this subject because I've seen several video's about the "greatness" of concrete counter tops. So if one is going to prepare food on this type of top what would be the proper coating to protect both the food (does it need protection?) and the counter top. It's not like a granite or marble top. Not that one usually prepares food directly on either of those stones but occasionally you might and lots of food residue will get on it even when using a cutting board.

So my question is, those who have a concrete countertop, what do you do with it in terms of cleaning and food preparation, protection?

Old 11-10-17, 06:19 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 332 Votes on 295 Posts
My coffee must not have kicked in when I replied - I looked at Norms join date and took that for the thread date
While I don't know much about concrete tops I can't imagine one not having some type of sealer on it, concrete/cement is just too porous!

Old 11-10-17, 07:28 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I also don't know much about concrete counters. I would guess the discoloration can't be fixed.
For sealing, check out this link: https://www.surecretedesign.com/prod...tertop-sealer/

You can also do a search for Food Safe Polyurethane.
I think the average homeowner can apply the poly, but they should study the directions carefully. It's harder than just rolling on a coat, it's kind of like epoxy and requires mixing and prep.

Old 11-11-17, 07:08 AM
I am not getting e-mail notifications on subscribed threads, even on one's that I originate.??? Sometimes I do and other times not!

Anyway I decided to re-visit this post and to my surprise I had a few more replies.

Thanks guys.

Marksr, I've done that too (the date thing

Brian, thanks for the link. I also found a article that gives a very good analysis of what to expect and what to do to seal concrete for food safety and staining (http://www.cement.org/docs/default-s...s.pdf?sfvrsn=2)

I also found lots a cautions about using just any sealer. Concrete can be a health hazard if not properly sealed.

And latestly I should've just Googled the subject! Lots of info on line.