Need help adding exhaust vent in kitchen

Old 12-06-17, 06:17 PM
E
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need help adding exhaust vent in kitchen

My kitchen does not have an exhaust system currently and i would like to put one in. I am a beginner DIYer and honestly don’t know what I need for the project and what steps are involved. But I think this project should be easy enough for an average DIY homeowner. Biggest issue I see is the stove is away from the outside wall so I will need to drill holes and run ducts.

I have included picture of my kitchen for your reference. The small room on the right (under C) is for the back entrance (size abt 4ft x 4ft, back entrance is not being used currently), Point D in the pic is the external wall. Behind the microwave wall, there is a storage cabinet (not visible in the pic) so I should be able to run the ducts concealed through that cabinet upto point B. From point B, I will have to run the duct close to the ceiling of the small room (behind C) all the way to point D (duct will not be visible from where the picture is taken but will be visible if you look up while standing in the small room). I was thinking to cut open the outside vent where I marked D. On the outside, I have wood cedar siding.

I am also not sure what kind of exhaust fan should I get. My current microwave, which I installed few months ago, has a fan (not sure if this fan would be strong enough to connect to a duct for the exhaust or i should get a new stronger fan.

I will appreciate if someone can list the parts I am going to need for this project and steps on how to execute.

Attached Images  
Old 12-06-17, 07:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Assuming this house is not two story, you would be better off going up through the ceiling into the attic, and out through the roof... or depending on which way your joists run, you might want to open up the ceiling and put the ducts between joists. (If they run left to right as viewed in your picture).

Impossible for us to give a parts list. You would need to read your manual for your microwave to see what they recommend for the size of duct needed and the maximum length of run. I would assume that your microwave needs a 3x12 duct or a similar rectangular size. Often that is then changed to 6" round at an adapter. But your manual will help there. Other times you keep the duct size the same all the way to the roof hood. It just depends.

Old 12-06-17, 08:28 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
What is that grille in the upper left of the picture, above the cabinets? It should not be a return air to the heating system as you never return air from kitchens or bathrooms.

Old 12-06-17, 10:28 PM
Upvotes: 0
You are taking on a project that is pretty tough. I would build a soffit above the cabinets or even better IMO, the back room. The soffit will hide the duct.
Micro Hoods do not vent well under the best of circumstances. If you want ventilation I would look at something like a Broan Allure Series.

Old 12-07-17, 05:44 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
If your house is single story then going straight up through the roof would be best. But... integrated microwave vent hoods are very poor performers under the best circumstances. I hate to say it but for the meager results I would consider not installing the vent if you stay with the microwave vent combo. If you are going to just a vent hood then I would consider the trouble installing the ducting to be worthwhile.

Old 12-07-17, 12:27 PM
E
I cannot go straight up as the house is two floors and there is bathroom right above where the stove is.
Furd, the grille on the upper left is the central AC vent.

From all the responses below it sounds like I will be better off putting this off. I guess that’s why the previous owners did not add exhaust vent when they renovated the kitchen.

You guys would laugh, but currently I use a table fan and point it outside thru the kitchen window every time I need exhaust. So I was trying to come up with something permanent.

Now since the first option is off the table is there a plan B? Can I cut open the outside wall where I marked D and mount an exhaust fan? I know appearance wise it will suck but at least I won’t have to open windows in freezing cold and it would be better than my current set up. Any thoughts?

Old 12-07-17, 01:59 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
I would do a traditional vent hood and go straight up through the cabinets and over and out through wall D. You can enclose the area above the cabinets to conceal it.

Old 12-12-17, 06:31 PM
E
Thanks Pilot Dane. We are considering replacing the microwave with the traditional hood ventilation. Regarding running ducts, what I marked in the picture and explained in my original post is what you meant, correct? just want to make sure...

"I have included picture of my kitchen for your reference. The small room on the right (under C) is for the back entrance (size abt 4ft x 4ft, back entrance is not being used currently), Point D in the pic is the external wall. Behind the microwave wall, there is a storage cabinet (not visible in the pic) so I should be able to run the ducts concealed through that cabinet upto point B. From point B, I will have to run the duct close to the ceiling of the small room (behind C) all the way to point D (duct will not be visible from where the picture is taken but will be visible if you look up while standing in the small room). I was thinking to cut open the outside vent where I marked D. On the outside, I have wood cedar siding."

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: