Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

NEC code requires outlet on a kitchen island - what happens if I don't have one

Old 12-19-17, 02:46 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Adding an island to my kitchen and someone mentioned that its a code violation if my kitchen island doesn't have an electrical outlet.

What are the potential issues i can face for a code violation?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-17, 03:27 PM
Received 234 Votes on 209 Posts
That does not make sense. A non-electrical/non-plumbing island is just that. A structure not connected to anything. Who told you otherwise? And what are that person's qualifications?

Old 12-19-17, 03:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,119 Votes on 1,039 Posts
If the island is fixed in place.... no wheels...... by code it requires at least one receptacle. The reason for this is so that a cord is not stretched from the island to a countertop receptacle constituting a hazard.

At least one receptacle outlet must be installed at each island countertop space with a long dimension of 2 ft or more and a short dimension of 1 ft or more [210.52(C)(2)].

If you don't have one you won't pass electrical inspection.

Old 12-19-17, 03:34 PM
PJ thanks for the info. Did not know that!

Old 12-19-17, 06:29 PM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
Short story. The woman who cleans my teeth remodeled her kitchen and installed an island. I told her she needed an electrical receptacle on the island. She told me she had no need for it. I replied that I knew the electrical inspector in her city and that he would absolutely demand it. She said no, she didn't want it. The inspector refused to sign the finished permit, refusing the certificate of occupancy.

Shawn had to install the receptacle. End of story.

Old 12-20-17, 01:47 PM
B
Thanks everyone - i think i may attempt to put it on wheels. Thanks for that suggestion PJmax!

Old 12-20-17, 03:10 PM
Be aware that installing an island on wheels is a tip hazard, I refuse to do it in most cases.
A standard cabinet is 24" deep minus the toe kick which leaves you about 19 inches (inside) for the wheels. You also need room for the caster mounting flange. It is not stable.

Inspectors around here want to see a tamper proof receptacle on the side or it will not pass. The island also requires 30" clearance on all sides.

You can put wheels on the island but I would make the island as deep and wide as possible.

Old 12-21-17, 04:02 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 323 Votes on 287 Posts
What if the island is made more like a piece of furniture than a cabinet? I have an 'island' in my kitchen that has legs and is not permanently mounted. While it pretty much always sits in the same spot it does get moved every so often to sweep under it. I've not had an inspector look at it but assume it's legal without a receptacle.

Old 12-21-17, 04:03 AM
You can put wheels on the island but I would make the island as deep and wide as possible.
If you follow this advice a wheeled counter cabinet is great. We were advised by HD that they could not provide a wheeled cabinet when we inquired about kitchen remodel. However, our local kitchen and bath modeller told us there is no reason why anybody can't have one. The key is size and type of casters. Let the professional cabinet manufactures provide the wheels and cabinet.

For myself, I would never have a fixed center kitchen cabinet. The ability to move it around is very convenient.