Does stove need to be flush with counter-top?

Old 01-01-18, 07:25 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Question Does stove need to be flush with counter-top?

So we are beginning to size up our ceramic tiling project. A buddy's wife who is a civil engineer told us we absolutely need to beef up our flooring, which confirms what some of you said in here from a previous discussion thread I said in here. So, currently the thinking is we will take up our existing 1/4" underlay, and replace it with 1/2" underlay. However we are currently thinking we will do that without ripping out our existing counter-top and associated cupboards. That means our counter-top height, with respect to the flooring, will get 1/4" lower.

For our refrigerator and dish washer, this is not an issue. I can upgrade the flooring underneath it, and still have lots of room to accommodate the additional height. Where I think I might be 'kinda stuck' is the stove. Its legs are as low as they can go. If I upgrade the floor underneath it, the stove will pretty much be 1/4" higher than the counter-top. So acknowledging that its ideal for the stove to be flush, my question is: is that fine if its off by a bit? Is that against code? Does code allow for a certain amount of deviation, or is it a strict flush requirement? If I don't upgrade the floor underneath it, the stove will 'drop-in', still be flush, but now I will have the edge of the tile to deal with. I think over time that edge will crack and crumble.

Assuming that I really should have the stove flush to the counter-top, I have to try to figure out what my options are. The real caveat is, the front legs of the stove are pretty far out towards the front. So my dilemma will be getting the ceramic tile underneath the front of the stove drawer, but not underneath the front stove legs, and dressing that edge. The legs are already adjusted to their limit, so I can't lower the stove any more. Is there any sort of trim that be used underneath the front of the stove, so that it meets the ceramic tile edge, giving it a nice finished 'dressed' presentation, so wife is happy and stove is flush?

Also I say 1/4" but in reality the ceramic tile and 'cement' will add an additional 5/16" to that 1/4". So 9/16" total new height if my math is right.

As always, thanks again for your help.

Is anyone knows of any web sites that do a great job of explaining and illustrating this, that would be helpful and much appreciated.

Last edited by Bob_Plumb; 01-01-18 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 01-01-18, 07:36 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
So acknowledging that its ideal for the stove to be flush, my question is: is that fine if its off by a bit?
Shouldn't be an issue. Our stove is 3/4" higher than the countertop. I don't think my wife has even noticed [or cared] that it's not flush.

Old 01-01-18, 07:37 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
There are many "deviations" that can be accomplished between cabinets, flooring, and counter tops that will effect where they fall in relation to each other.

Hardwood flooring not installed under cabinets, tile flooring installed during a remodel or cement counter tops which are generally thicker.

Nothing to worry about!

Old 01-01-18, 07:42 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Dishwashers don't always fit under the countertop if you add that much height... so I'm not sure why you say that's not an issue. It has to slide in.

Old 01-01-18, 08:00 AM
Dishwashers don't always fit under the countertop if you add that much height... so I'm not sure why you say that's not an issue. It has to slide in.

There is currently 1/2" gap between the top of the dishwasher and counter-top, and there is 7/8" between dishwasher and floor. If/when we buy a new dishwasher I will have to ensure the new one is the same size. Actually if I can remember I should go-online and get measurements of dishwashers we like to see what the reality is,.

Old 01-01-18, 08:05 AM
Originally Posted by Marq1
There are many "deviations" that can be accomplished between cabinets, flooring, and counter tops that will effect where they fall in relation to each other.

Hardwood flooring not installed under cabinets, tile flooring installed during a remodel or cement counter tops which are generally thicker.
Nothing to worry about!

Exactly, and this discussion thread will likely just be the first. We are also adding ceramic tile to the bathroom, and that will be 'meeting' the existing carpeted and hardwood flooring. The carpeted flooring will be replace with hardwood flooring in a few years. So I have more math to do, and don't be surprised if I post a few more questions in here.

EDIT; and I just discovered that the counter-top to the left of the stove is almost 1/4" lower than the counter-top to the right of the stove. Nice. ......and the project grows.

Old 01-01-18, 08:14 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
and I just discovered that the counter-top to the left of the stove is almost 1/4" lower than the counter-top to the right of the stove
But is the stove itself level? Some stuff doesn't cook right if the stove/oven is out of level. That 1/4" may be less noticeable after the stove is raised.

Old 01-01-18, 08:43 AM
Originally Posted by marksr
But is the stove itself level? Some stuff doesn't cook right if the stove/oven is out of level. That 1/4" may be less noticeable after the stove is raised.

Thanks for checking. Stove is not exactly level, but I ignored that. I did these two things: (1) placed my level on the counter-top, over the stove, and also the floor itself. While the flooring is level, when placed on the counter-top the level bubble is just past the limit line. (2) I measured from the top of the counter-top to the floor. This was the measurement that is off by 1/4"; left side is shorter.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: