Crappy dilemma with shower door

Old 02-22-18, 04:56 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Crappy dilemma with shower door

Hello everyone! i got super excited and installed a new shower with tile all around! yaayyyyyy! looks pretty great! here's my problem. When i went to install my shower doors i realised the shower walls are not even. since its a 2 part shower wall i found i have a pretty big gap between the wall and the shower door frame. And now everything is tiled in so the walls are not moving. ill add a pic. Question is, do you have any ideas about filling the gap? i was thinking maybe butterfly anchors to pull the shower wall and shower door frame together or maybe some sort of rubber seal screwed between the frame and wall ......but I'm pretty novice . Any tips would be great, i have the whole bathroom done except the shower door.

Name:  20180222_164312[1].jpg
Views: 464
Size:  73.4 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 02-22-18 at 06:52 PM. Reason: reoriented picture
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-18, 05:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 675 Votes on 624 Posts
You might want to take a picture from farther away so we can get a better idea what we are looking at.

My first inclination is to say that you need to shim the gap behind it so that when you secure the door track to the wall it will stay straight and will not bow with the wall... then caulk over the shims to hide both the gap and the shim.

Old 02-23-18, 05:57 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 631 Votes on 583 Posts
I would consider installing a strip of PVC trim behind the shower door frame to fill the gap. PVC won't rot or absorb moisture so it's much better than wood in this application. Most home centers sell strips about 1/4" thick. If it's too thick you could look for someone with a planer to take it down to the thickness you need.

Old 02-24-18, 06:26 PM
R
Hard to see exactly how wide the gap is but I would caulk it. Silcone or whatever. Then smooth the bead with a wet finger. or wet utensil. The trim idea is good but it must be waterproof. Maybe both.

Old 02-24-18, 06:30 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
So, why is the tile not further up the wall as would be in a normal shower install? Just seems odd that the tile only goes up part way. Can you provide further detail on the install itself? Something doesn't jive with standard building practices.

Old 02-25-18, 04:39 AM
Received 230 Votes on 205 Posts
So, why is the tile not further up the wall as would be in a normal shower install?
Looks to me to be a shower surround system and the shower walls don 't lay flat against the bathroom walls. A better picture would be helpful, but that gap although bigger than what I would like doesn't seem all that bad. I like the idea of just using a bead of caulk as suggested.

Old 02-25-18, 11:23 AM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
If you look at the picture, it is taken at the level of the toilet, so the tile only goes maybe 16" up the wall. Still confused.

Old 03-06-18, 02:09 PM
R
The best solution w0oul;d be to cut the metal to fit. Not too difficult if you transfer the needed cut to the metal strip.
But if you blow, you need a new strip.