Metal strip on countertop

Old 04-24-18, 02:46 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Metal strip on countertop

I am trying to redo my bathroom vanity countertop by painting it. So I do not want to ruin my exisiting laminate countertop. However, I have that lovely (insert sarcasm) metal cove strip between my backsplash and countertop. I do know that this metal piece is under my laminate countertop. How can I add backsplash without removing this metal strip. (I have read that the only way to remove it would be to ruin my laminate). I have heard that some take a 4” wide wood piece and place over but won’t that be uneven being the metal strip extends out a little bit more than the wall? Any sugeestions are appreciated as this has put a damper on my DIY project.

Old 04-24-18, 02:48 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Cut the back splash to fit over it.

Old 04-24-18, 03:25 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Are you saying to knotch out a little section at the bottom? Will this work for glass tile? What would I used to cut that? Also I have a metal trim piece at the top of my laminate backsplash, how could i cover that?

Old 04-24-18, 03:33 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Would you have enough depth to install 1/2" cement board stopping it short at the bottom and then applying your tile? You'd need bullnose tile where the tile stops and meets the rest of the drywall.

Old 04-24-18, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
I really don't know what it is you have...but when an offending strip of metal is in my way for some reason, a Dremel tool and metal cutting wheel normally do wonders.

Old 04-24-18, 12:32 PM
P
Received 19 Upvotes on 18 Posts
I assume you are talking about the current backsplash being a separate piece from the countertop. If so, do a web search for "Schluter Strip". It may just be laid down under your current backsplash so that when you remove your current material you find it just lying on top of the laminate or mortared to the wall. I haven't seen one that goes under the countertop laminate so a picture might help.

- Peter

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: