Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Mounting an Ikea cabinet with dead space behind it

Old 06-21-18, 11:57 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I am installing Ikea cabinets for our kitchen renovation. We have an angled wall that will hold three full height (80" tall) pantry cabinets, from left to right: 1) 15"w x 15"d broom closet, 2) 30"w x 24"d pantry, and 3) 15"w x 24"d pullouts. The leftmost cabinet (broom closet) is 9" shallower so it clears the corner. What is the best way to block the leftmost cabinet to the wall so it is structurally sound? It will also be fastened to the adjacent 30"w cabinet. It's right rear edge is 9" from the back wall and its left rear edge is about 2" from the wall that runs at an angle to it.

To complicate matters, there is a junction box in the deadspace behind the cabinet, which will be accessible through a panel in the back of the cabinet. The junction box has conduit exiting, and the conduit must go around the back of the cabinet to switches in the far left side panel.

The picture shows the conduit in blue and existing studs in green. Should I build a false wall in an L-shape along the side of the pantry cabinet and along the back of where the broom closet will hang? Can I toggle bolt the wall ends to the existing drywall since there are no studs there, or do I need to remove drywall and insert blocking to tie into? It would be extremely difficult to add blocking at the pantry cabinet side since the pantry cabinet is already installed. Thank you for your help.

Attached Images  
Old 06-21-18, 12:05 PM
K
Toggle bolts

If I build a false "wall" behind the broom closet, can I bolt it to the existing drywall along the full height with these E-Z Ancor toggle bolts (capacity 100lbs)? These are the same bolts I used between studs for the cabinet hanging rails. In the drawing, the toggle bolt locations are in orange.

Attached Images   
Old 06-21-18, 12:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Fastening the face frames together is all that is needed. You will be fastening to the left panel as well. To fasten the rear or the cabinet together you can use sex bolts or T nuts if you feel screws are not sufficient.

There is no reason to build any walls behind

Old 06-21-18, 12:17 PM
K
Originally Posted by XSleeper
Fastening the face frames together is all that is needed. You will be fastening to the left panel as well. To fasten the rear or the cabinet together you can use sex bolts or T nuts if you feel screws are not sufficient.

There is no reason to build any walls behind
XSleeper, you are making me really happy. Does it make any difference if the cabinets are frameless? I don't think so.... So you are saying to support the cabinet with only the right pantry cabinet, the left angled end panel, and the cabinet feet?

Old 06-21-18, 01:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Correct. Sometimes we try to overcomplicate things needlessly.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: