Replace Cooktop

Old 07-16-18, 02:51 PM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Replace Cooktop

I need to replace a very old electric cooktop and cannot find a new one that exactly fits the cutout. I do not want to replace counter tops and, if possible, want to avoid trying to cut them to new size. I want to put an inexpensive coil cooktop in as a replacement and have found one that is close to my cut out size. My cutout size is is within the length specs but my cutout for the width is 20 3/4" where the specs say you should have a 19 - 20" cutout. Since the cooktop width is 21 1/2", I think the cooktop will still work for me with a little less over hang. I have not installed one of these before so I'm wondering if there is anything I'm missing. I should still have about 3/8" of laminate covered in front and back. Any advice/opinions would be appreciated before I purchase the cooktop.
Thanks in advance.

Old 07-16-18, 05:45 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,461 Posts
I would try to look at the new cooktop if possible to see where it gets it's support. 3/8" along two sides isn't much. I would also look at how you fasten/attach the cooktop since there will be a big gap between the wood support of your counter and the cooktops frame/body.

Old 07-16-18, 06:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,574 Likes on 1,411 Posts
You can get a cooktop trim kit to cover your old cutout if the new cooktop doesn't cover. You generally need to glue and pin nail something around the perimeter to make it the right size for the new cooktop, then the trim kit covers anything you have added on.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: