maintenance free and good looking shower?

Old 09-10-18, 11:44 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
maintenance free and good looking shower?

I have a tiled shower that leaks that I want to tear out and replace with a shower that requires no maintenance (grout sealing) and never leaks. Is a prefab shower the only option?

Most prefab shower I have seen is pure white, which is not very attractive. Is there an option that combines color like tiled shower, and leak free/ maintenance free like the prefab shower?

Obviously even a prefab shower require regular cleaning so that is not considered "maintenance" in this context.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-18, 12:11 PM
Received 377 Votes on 352 Posts
Having had several big all glass shower doors/walls that were a nightmare to keep clean when we remodeled the current shower the requirement was to not have a single piece of glass anywhere!

So we designed a walk in shower that is 100% tile, no door, no glass (except for a small window that provides some light into the shower).

It's fantastic and the maintenance is nothing compared to trying to keep all that glass clean and spot free!

As far as leak free, look into the Prova/Ditra membrane systems, they are leak free!

Old 10-04-18, 07:14 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I like the look of a tiled shower over fiberglass but I feel like a fiberglass unit will last longer. Yea it will require cleaning here or there but most homes built with one piece fiberglass tub/shower can go about 20-30 years with minimal cleaning. Glass doors are a PITA even if you squeegee them after every use. I think tile would need to be regrouted after a certain amount of years and would require more frequent heavy duty cleaning.

Old 10-05-18, 06:03 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 634 Votes on 586 Posts
Pre-fab shower units are available in colors and some are two tone. But, white/ivory is by far the most common and what most places stock. A color will be more expensive and a custom order. If you do go for a fiberglass unit avoid cheapies. You really get what you pay for and moving up to at least mid-level gets you a lot more quality.

Yes, grout sealing is a pain. But with a properly constructed tile shower maintenance is minimized. And tile is definetely a more premium option over a pre-fab insert.

Old 10-05-18, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
There's always the prefab solid surface showers....but I don't know if they have DIY kits for those or if they are Pro install only. Oh, I guess they do have DIY now...not cheap...thats for sure. It would minimize your grout lines though...basically 2 vertical and wall to floor. Still have to deal with what's the floor going to be. Seems I saw the Pro's install a preformed solid surface floor also?

Old 10-05-18, 03:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 678 Votes on 627 Posts
There are also customizable solid surfaces such as Onyx. And yes, like Vic says you can get them with a presloped solid surface floor pan. Just worked on one the other day.