Attaching Thin Backing to Kitchen Island

Old 02-09-19, 10:14 AM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Attaching Thin Backing to Kitchen Island

I am building an island and am a bit new at this. I've dealt with cabinets in the past, but they were mass market and these are custom. (I had to order custom to match existing cabinets in the home.)

My problems come in that these cabinets are not backed with the type of thick wood or MDF that I am experienced with and the backing (also ordered with the cabients) is thinner than I am used to (about 1/4 in.)

My questions about this are
How to attach the thin backing. Glue? I am thinking LocTite Power Grab as it needs very little time to set. This would also eliminate much need for clamping.

Do I glue all the uprights in the back or just the outside edges? The thin backing seems sturdy enough that I'm not sure it NEEDS the extra glue but want to make sure I'm doing right by the design.

Lastly, As you can see below, there is a thin MDF type backing on these cabinets and I'm also unsure about supporting the top, which will be a butcher block piece, and have ab out 12 in of breakfast bar in the back. This makes me want to put in supports, but again, unsure how to go about it. (The thick piece you see is only across the top and is only about 4 inches wide.)

Pictures below. Again, thanks for all your help.

Attached Images  
Old 02-09-19, 10:48 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
I'd probably make a face frame to make it look like 2 or 3 panels, using 1/4" for the panels. Then glue and shoot that on.

Old 02-27-19, 11:58 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I had a very similar situation with my kitchen island and countertop. I didnt end up using any nails on the innermost uprights only the two edge uprights, but I did glue all uprights. I used liquid nails which did require pressure and clamping until it set but Liquid Nails has never failed me and I went with it. In terms of the countertop overhang - you will probably need additional support (such as large L brackets). I have marble countertops which are heavy, but waterfall style sides which means there is a full depth piece of marble supporting the weight on both ends and I was still told to add the L brackets underneath my 12" overhang.

Old 02-28-19, 04:14 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
It sounds like you're using a wall backed cabinet as an island cabinet. Why would you do that.? An island cabinet should have full thick side panels on all sides, since all sides are exposed. And usually an island cabinet will have doors on both sides.

I have a large movable island with granite top and all sides are heavy duty. No thin backing anyplace. It's made as an island. My other wall cabinets have a thin luan backing that sets against the wall.

Old 02-28-19, 04:49 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,154 Upvotes on 1,929 Posts
I would glue a sheet of luan to the back to lend support and shim out the back to clear the protruding bits of hardware and reinforcing blocks. You'll have to spend a little time trimming it to avoid all those obstacles but when you're done you'll have a more flat surface to glue your pretty back panel to.

Don't rely on the quick setting of Power Grab to lessen the need for clamping. Because you are gluing a large flat sheet you'll want to clamp long straight boards across the back to insure your sheeting is flat. If you just push it in place you'll likely end up with subtle dips and peaks that will be visible when you look at is from a shallow angle.

Old 03-22-19, 09:41 AM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
@Norm201: The cabinets were delivered this way, along with a long piece of backing material. I would rather have had more full backing, but we ordered these to match cabinets already in the home.

@Pilot Dane: Luan is 3/16" thick, and the pieces you see are only 1/8". I'm going with some 1/8" plywood to fill the space and then the backing material. Not sure how to clamp it, but I'm working on it. thanks!

Old 03-22-19, 09:57 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
The cabinets were delivered this way, along with a long piece of backing material. I would rather have had more full backing, but we ordered these to match cabinets already in the home.
Was it ordered as an island? If so, then they sent you the wrong thing. If not then you are trying to modify a wall cabinet. Just say'n.

Old 03-22-19, 11:00 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Not to repeat myself, but you really need to make a face frame first to put on the back of those cabinets. 1X2 stock that will hang over the cabinet sides at least 1/8"... put together with a Kreg jig and pocket screws. Rabbet/router the back edge of the face frame so that it will accept your 1/8" sheet. Cut your 1/8" sheet to size so it fits into the notch you made on the back of the face frame and fasten it. Then glue and fasten that entire panel you just made to the back of the cabinets.

If you don't do that, you will need to put an outside corner moulding on each corner of the cabinets to cover the seam and raw edge.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: