Caulking between laminate and painted drywall

Old 03-06-19, 06:22 PM
S
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Caulking between laminate and painted drywall

I just purchased a new home and noticed in the bathroom that the laminate countertop edge isn't sealed against the painted drywall. The house is so dry I believe that drywall shrinkage may have caused this small separation along the countertop edge. I'm worried that water splashing from the sink will get in the crack so I think I should caulk along the edge. Does anyone have any suggestions on the best type of caulking to use for this? Thanks.

Attached Images  
Old 03-06-19, 06:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Since this is in a bathroom, you would likely want to use a paintable caulk that also has mold resistant properties. Something readily available at most box stores would be GE Silicone II Supreme Kitchen and bath. You would want to take blue painters tape and mask a straight line on your countertop... maybe 1/8" from the wall... and then mask a straight line on the wall... about 1/8" up from the backsplash. Cut a fine tip and caulk... then tool it with a wet finger, (dipped in rubbing alcohol) wiping off any excess into a paper towel. Carefully remove the tape right away, and quickly tool it one last time... very lightly, to smooth out any edge left by the tape. Work fast... it gets tacky in a hurry. After it cures you can touch up the wall paint if desired.

Old 03-07-19, 02:52 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I've always painted the caulk unless the caulk was the same color as the wall or top .... and even then it's a good idea to paint it. I've never seen any issues with using a quality latex caulk if it's painted, a bath caulk is more important if you don't paint over. Don't use a pure silicone caulk! they aren't paintable including any residue that gets on the wall. GE II can be painted.

Old 03-10-19, 08:28 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
I caulk this gap but I have rarely seen it done in the houses I've bought.

Old 03-10-19, 10:12 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I don't recall ever painting a new house where it wasn't caulked, if the top installer didn't caulk it, it became my job.

Old 03-10-19, 02:19 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
If you are worried about doing a good caulk job, use a clear paintable kitchen bath caulk. Very forgiving for the novice. Don't be afraid to use blue painters tape on the vanity to guaranty a straight line.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: