Pivot glass shower door install: no stud?

Old 03-15-19, 08:44 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Pivot glass shower door install: no stud?

This may be a stupid question, but I've seen various answers out there. We recently redid our master bathroom & were now looking to install a pivot glass shower door, a Dreamline door that has an L-shape bracket on the left side. We did put cement board down, 1/2" thick, under the tile. The only wall where we could put the shower door/pivot part, would not have a stud (its probably about 4 inch from the stud). My husband is convinced we can use heavy duty wall anchors. But in my logical mind, I think that over time & with use & that its only cement board, it will come loose eventually & would not be repairable. So my question is, can we install the pivot shower door into 1/2 inch cement board with wall anchors and have that be enough or should we look into a more expensive sliding door? TIA!

Old 03-16-19, 12:30 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
1/2" glass is HEAVY, no way is CBU considered a structural material.

No matter the size of the hardware it has to mount to something, don't do it!!

Old 03-16-19, 04:41 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
If you try mounting to the tile and cement board I'm afraid the weight and movement will cause flexing, eventually cracking the grout joints or tile in the door mounting area. I hate to say it as it sounds too late but you always install studs on both sides of a shower opening where doors might be installed. I also install blocking between the studs inside the shower for the possibility of hand rails/grab bars.

Old 03-16-19, 08:38 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
If you have access to the space from an adjacent room, it may be less intrusive to remove some drywall from the other room to be able to install blocking to accept the shower door frame. Certainly easier to repair drywall than to replace tile.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: