new kithchen: what to do first

Old 03-23-19, 01:12 PM
L
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
new kithchen: what to do first

My kitchen is empty. I need to lay new floor and install the cabinets and countertop. What to do first: the floor, install the cabinet or plumbing? Thanks.

Old 03-24-19, 03:03 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome back to the forums!
Finish plumbing or rough plumbing? What type of floor covering?
Need more info before we can advise how to proceed.

Old 03-24-19, 04:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Plumbing. add as many plugs as you can. Redid kitchen a few years and added many outlets but still finding places I wished they were there. And do any drywall work/ I like to pint while nothing in way Find it easier to touch up after than paint last,

Old 03-24-19, 06:39 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
To add to PUGSI's comment. In this order. After all the plumbing, electrical and drywall is done, then paint your ceiling. Installing cupboards will be you next step. New floor should be you last step before installing new appliances. Install flooring all the way back into the dishwasher, stove and refrigerator cavities.

Note, add an electrical outlet rather than hard wire the dishwasher, and provide long enough flex supply line to pull DW all the way out for possible maintenance. Same thing for range gas supply.

Old 03-24-19, 06:44 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
New floor should be you last step before installing new appliances. Install flooring all the way back into the dishwasher, stove and refrigerator cavities.
A lot depends on the type of floor. If it's ceramic tile or hardwood you need to either install it under the cabinets or set them on plywood that is the same thickness as the flooring otherwise the dishwasher might not fit in the hole [top will be too low] and the stove would set a tad higher than most like.

Old 03-24-19, 06:55 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I'd like to reiterate what marksr said, floor covering should be installed BEFORE base cabinets.

In addition to issues with appliances not fitting correctly when the time comes that something needs to be replaced there is nothing more disappointing than finding out the builder went cheap and didn't cover the entire floor.

Old 03-24-19, 07:15 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Mark and Pendragon, good point. I meant to say something to that affect. But my mind was concerned about not marring or chipping a new floor as other work was being done.

That being said, IIRC, when I did my kitchen remodel, I don't remember putting anything under cabinets to compensate. But I did add flooring under dishwasher. The flooring was 1/4 thick interlocking tiles. Granite counter top installed. Two dishwashers later and I never had a problem removing them. Always plenty of room to work with. Now you got me wondering!

Old 03-24-19, 07:38 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I always wait until the last possible time to install flooring, get everything that can be done, done.
Once you start, those cheap moving blankets from harbor freight or big sheets of cardboard can save you some potential headaches when installing the base cabinets.
OTOH, if the flooring is that delicate, maybe the kitchen isn't the best place to install it.

Old 03-24-19, 09:48 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't remember putting anything under cabinets to compensate. But I did add flooring under dishwasher. The flooring was 1/4 thick interlocking tiles.
You didn't have any issue mainly because the flooring was only 1/4" thick.
When it's tile and cement board or 3/4" hardwood it becomes a big problem.

Old 04-04-19, 03:27 PM
L
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you to everyone who responded. Really a lot of help. Before starting the project I felt I needed a vacation. Now I am back and ready for a couple of new question. The walls and ceiling are painted. New sewer and water plumbing and wiring are inside the walls. Ready for connecting the gas stove and the sink. I will use vinyl tiles glued to 1/4 inch plywood nailed to wooden floor to make it perfectly even. After that I will install the base cabinets, countertop and sink. Is everything OK with this order? Again, thank you.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: