Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Adding more privacy to my full size window in my shower?

Old 04-03-19, 07:10 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Larger view - photo
Name:  window.jpg
Views: 714
Size:  31.3 KB

This window faces the street, so frosted glass isn't enough privacy. I've added a vinyl roller shade, but it blocks the majority of the light and is an eye sore. Is there a paint or decal I could apply to the glass that could reduce visibility, but still let light through? Or perhaps a blind that looks nice, can handle daily water exposure, and lets light through?

I'm planning a full bathroom remodel so also looking for suggestions on the best way to trim the window as the current trim is wood.

Thanks,
Nate

Last edited by PJmax; 04-03-19 at 04:51 PM. Reason: added pic from link
Old 04-03-19, 08:56 AM
Received 529 Votes on 489 Posts
They make all kinds of window films, frosted, privacy, patters but they are installed inside and being in a humid environment it may not last!

I would be looking at some type of storm window to install outside with an additional layer of frosted/textured glass.

Old 04-03-19, 09:11 AM
Group Moderator
Received 985 Votes on 897 Posts
That is called obscure glass, probably Cardinal P516, which is the most common. Anything that let's light through will allow someone on the outside to see a vague form inside, so the answer to your question probably depends on your opinion of what is sufficient.

Marq may be on the right track with a 2nd layer of glass. I would probably suggest you have something inside, however. If you go to a glass shop they can show you a range of obscure glass options (rain glass or hammered glass or even leaded glass might be good options) that they could grind / round the edge on or put into a frame (just like leaded glass usually is) and then you could hang it in front your existing window casing or mount it directly on the trim (or tile) with spring loaded mirror clips. A 2nd type of glass would diffuse the shape of the person inside, making it fuzzier. But nothing other than paint on the window will make you invisible.

The best type of window trim for your remodel will be tile. Wood has no place in a shower.

Old 04-03-19, 09:37 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Hang a translucent shower curtain in front of the window. It will also slow the rot of any wood trim.

Old 04-03-19, 04:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,595 Votes on 1,470 Posts
I'm planning a full bathroom remodel so also looking for suggestions on the best way to trim the window as the current trim is wood.
Replace it with a vinyl or vinyl clad window unit.

Old 04-03-19, 06:59 PM
Group Moderator
Replace it with a vinyl or vinyl clad window unit.
That *is* a vinyl window. He's asking about the trim.

Old 04-03-19, 11:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,595 Votes on 1,470 Posts
...................... Name:  what.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  3.3 KB ..........................

Old 04-04-19, 03:19 AM
Received 370 Votes on 335 Posts
They make all kinds of window films, frosted, privacy, patters but they are installed inside and being in a humid environment it may not last!

FWIW...many years ago I used a frosted film on the inside glass and it lasted many years. The humid conditions did not affect it. However, it did shrink around the edges after several years. I don't recommend it, but it is a very inexpensive solution. To be honest, Ray's suggestion to use a curtain is your best and cheapest solution until you do your remodel.

I'm faced with a similar situation with shower bath window facing the street. Wife wants to extend shower stall to meet at the window edge. It will in fact slightly protrude into shower. Can't convince her it can't be done.

Old 04-04-19, 04:28 AM
Group Moderator
Old original glass block window near shower with tile returns and "trim".

Attached Images  
Old 04-04-19, 05:53 AM
M
Received 16 Votes on 11 Posts
How about planting a nice large evergreen shrub in front of the window?

Old 04-04-19, 05:58 AM
Super Moderator
Received 174 Votes on 140 Posts
That assumes it's on the first floor. Might be the second floor and if they live in a big city, houses are next to each other, so privacy still needed.
Even so, it takes a long time for an evergreen to grow tall enough.

Old 04-04-19, 07:40 AM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
This is similar to what I have:

Simple, and inexpensive if someone in the family has a sewing machine and knows how to use it. Uses simple & cheap lockseam rods that attach to the window itself. The curtain is a single piece of material with a pocket/tunnel sewn at either end that the rod runs through. For extra style points, make it overly wide so the material bunches up and hangs in pleats. The flourish at the top of the window is optional.

There also are shutters made to mount on the inside of the window that only cover the bottom half. Some are hinged and have a locking latch in the middle so the shutters can be opened and thrown back to clean or open the window.

Old 04-04-19, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator
Received 174 Votes on 140 Posts
I think the window is actually inside the shower, not just the bathroom and there doesn’t appear to be any room to inside mount, if I’m seeing right.

Old 04-04-19, 08:38 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Votes on 377 Posts
I've painted bath rms that had picture windows in the shower, a few even had a sliding glass door. That's fine if the house is in a location that prevents outsiders from viewing inside. One builder always put a fence/garden around that window/door but as mentioned above that didn't work well if a 2 story house was built next door.

IMO those window 'sticker' film is the best short term fix.

Old 04-04-19, 03:34 PM
Received 370 Votes on 335 Posts
Why not just a set of Venetian blinds? That's currently what we're using. Make sure their room darkening, and vinyl. You won't find any with cords anymore. All are push/pull from the bottom.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: