Granite Seam - Color / Grain Direction

Old 04-16-19, 12:16 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Granite Seam - Color / Grain Direction

Granite installed this week. Because of length 11'6 (inside corner to edge of peninsula) and length of peninsula extending into kitchen ( 6'8"). Fabricator said I would have a seam. Seam has a noticeable color difference at seam & the grain changes direction at seam which I was not aware of. Should he have told me about change of direction in the grain at the seam ?

I did pick my slab and now do see a shading difference in center of peninsula piece running at a 45 degree angle (see pic) which could explain the color difference at the seam. He said he would change the peninsula piece if I wanted but cant gaurantee that the color will match from a new slab, & cant gaurantee what the seam will look like since he has to cut the seam on the current installed piece where is sits & not at the shop. I'd hate to have him cut it and have a burred edge or bad seam on the good piece and have a problem appearance wise when he went to put the new peninsula piece in.

How hard is it to cut the existing seam without damaging the edge? I understand that granite is a natural product and that this is a busy pattern & that when my back splash (crema mara polished marble) is installed my eye wont be focused soley on the seam / grain direction change. This is my first go at this and just curious what others think about cutting out the peninsula slab and replacing?

If he replaces that piece I assume he could match the grain pattern since it is 36" wide by 6'8" in length.

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-19, 04:54 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 684 Votes on 631 Posts
Should they "have told you" that's debatable. But I think they should have based on how they laid out the stone. It's like wood with a grain. When you butt to pieces together 90 degrees to each other the grain will change direction and the graining will not align. It is something that must be considering when purchasing stone.

With a counter like yours I would have tried to seam in the center of the sink and keep the grain for the entire counter aligned in the same direction but that depends on your dimensions and the stone slab. Your counter might be just a bit too big to get from a common sized slab.

I don't understand why they need to make a cut on site (in your kitchen). I assume they are considering replacing the peninsula piece from the seam on so I can't understand what needs to be cut on site.

Last edited by Pilot Dane; 04-16-19 at 05:13 PM.
Old 04-16-19, 07:07 PM
D
Thank you for the quick reply. Yes they would replace the peninsula at the seam. I guess my question is how easy will that come apart at the seam? I thought that would need to be cut? Can they just pop it loose at the seam and put in the new peninsula piece with no damage to the existing piece?

The peninsula is 36 inches wide and extends into the kitchen 6'8 inches into the kitchen.The other piece with the sink is 24" wide and is 8'6 inches from the corner (behind the microwave to the edge of the peninsula seam). Not sure if they could have gotten everything running the same direction based on the measurements above.
I really appreciate the feedback. I've got one chance to get this right so any help is appreciated!

Old 04-17-19, 06:14 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 684 Votes on 631 Posts
They will probably want to do some cutting to insure the seam comes apart without breaking or chipping the stone. The cutting can be done with a box cutter knife into the epoxy seam or a saw cut into the stone on the side that is being removed. Since the piece being removed is scrap chipping it isn't a concern. Then they'll come back and scrape the end to remove any epoxy and get ready for the new slab.

Old 04-19-19, 07:10 AM
Received 78 Votes on 73 Posts
Hi, what is the demention from the center of the sink to the edge of the peninsula? One thing to consider is when the job is complete you will have things on the counter top that will hide some of that seam, not the perfect solution.
Geo

Old 04-22-19, 08:28 AM
D
Geo.
It's 6'1" (73") from the center of the sink to the outside edge of the peninsula. I don't think they wanted to seam at the sink because of structural integrity? Not sure based on that measurement above if they could have have done it anyway? Thoughts? I appreciate the info everyone is sharing. Thank you.