Fiberglass Shower Pan mortar or not?

Old 05-01-19, 02:36 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fiberglass Shower Pan mortar or not?

I am replacing a shower pan. When I removed the old there was no mortar. We checked it with a long level and discovered the floor was pretty much perfect. I assume that's the reason there was no mortar bed. WE laid down the mew pan and the level was almost perfect. The very minimal misalignment I think are just related to the pan fitting into a really tight space. I don;t think I need to mortar and the shower pan seems very well constructed with structural ribs. I am not planning to put down mortar but I get paranoid with these things. Am I off track here?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-19, 02:40 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
I redid our bath rm last summer and while the instructions for the pan didn't specify mortar, I used it anyway and the shower floor feels real solid, I don't think it would have been that way if I just set it on the plywood and screwed it to the studs.

Old 05-01-19, 02:43 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks. Mine feels sper solid due to the construction. It's designed with a grid structure under. The instructions were to set a cloth like mat that came with under it. Hoping it's all good.

Old 05-01-19, 02:47 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
Mine also had a 'grid' under it but it had a little bit of give between ribs. .... but I do weigh 200lbs.

Old 05-01-19, 05:58 PM
Received 392 Votes on 366 Posts
YES, YES, YES

Regardless of what if feels like you need to put in that extra support it will not hurt anything and if you dont there is no way to go back and install afterwards!

marksr voted this post useful.
Old 05-02-19, 06:25 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 673 Votes on 622 Posts
I always bed plastic tubs and shower pans in mortar. Most all have support feet or a grid underneath but they resist cracking and drain flange leaking much better when they are bed in mortar so there is absolutely no movement when people move about in the shower.

BeccaG voted this post useful.