Countertop going into uneven wall solutions

Old 05-16-19, 08:38 AM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Countertop going into uneven wall solutions

I am about to install my butcherblock countertops and I realized the side of the refrigerator built-in that the counter would be going up against is not square with the back wall. It is off by 1/2 -3/4 of an inch.

I would like to know how the pros would deal with this situation.

Should I just angle the end cut to accommodate the out of square wall?
or

Should I just forgo the cabinet filler piece and treat the cabinet as an island, leaving a space between the countertop and wall?

Name:  c1.jpg
Views: 2830
Size:  93.9 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 05-16-19 at 03:41 PM. Reason: resized picture
Old 05-16-19, 10:03 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
You set the countertop square with the world and then scribe the back and side to fit the wall. So if you have a 1/4" - 0' taper on the right you take a 1/4" shim, place it on the wall along with a sharp pencil and slide both at the same time along the wall, marking the shape of the wall onto the countertop.

Same in back. Without moving the countertop at all (so as not to change the right side angle you just marked). If there is a 1/2" to 0 taper, take a 1/2" shim and pencil and slide both along the wall, drawing on the countertop.

Then cut close to your line, but not on it. Backbevel the cut if you can. Then finish scribing up to the line with a belt sander or a grinder and sanding disc. Once done, it should match the walls perfectly.

You definitely want a little filler on the right side of the cabinet to get the doors away from the wall and door trim.

Old 05-16-19, 10:40 AM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Xsleeper to the rescue once again

I'm so glad I asked before trying to figure this out myself. I didn't even think to scribe the back wall as well as the side wall to split the 1/2 - 3/4 inch difference.

I'm pretty sure I get what you are saying but I may be back with some questions before I start cutting.

Old 05-16-19, 03:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Just go to YouTube and type in, how to scribe to an uneven wall, there is a video (not mine) that shows at around 2:00 or so the pencil/wood technique of scribing.

rufunky voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: